Star Trek: Phase II

Please login or register.

HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!
Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<< 

Author Topic: Creating dubs ok?  (Read 876 times)

Offline FreddyE

• Recruit
Creating dubs ok?
« on: April 09, 2010, 04:07:44 am »
I´d like to know what the official policy on dubs of Phase II episodes into other languages is. Is this tolerated/encouraged/discouraged?

As far as I know the show has not really "arrived" that much in the German fanbase (wich is a pity since apperantly its the biggest or one of the biggest fanbase of Trek outsite of the US). First I thought about trying to create subtitles...but the thing is: The majority of germany is used to dubbed shows and most people won´t accept subtitles. I´m thinking about putting a dubbing project together. The plan would be to go high quality...meaning: Taking care to have perfect lip synch, good quality audio, and voice actors that are "sound alikes" to you folks as much as possible. (Its a bit of a hobby of mine to watch stuff in English and in German and compare the voices...and I think that dubs work best if the voice actor´s voice is as similar as possible to the original actor.) High quality of dialog translation would be ensured by recruiting fans who are professional translators. A "clean" dub or a dub as if it had been dubbed by the team who dubbed TOS "back then" (Wich had a certain "style" to it) would both be possible.

The finished project would be an audio track that people could play in synch with the video of the original downloads. (There is player software that lets you load an mp3 to play instead of a videos own audio.)

I just wanted to decsribe the plans in detail and ask if it´s even allowed before I start putting any work into this.

Offline Kapitaen Stephan

• Germany Mirror Site Operator/Translator
  • Crew
    • Star Ttrek Phase 2 Deutschland
Re: Creating dubs ok?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 08:31:53 am »
Hello, FreddyE.

Although your topic should rather be answered by James Cawley or one of the Show`s producers, let me give you a short update on any Dubbing Works we (at "Phase 2 Deutschland") have done so far.

For over a year now, we have been in contact with a talented group of Audio-Artists to produce a dubb of one of our episodes.

It´s rather complicated sice some of our older episodes use music written especially for our production, like the Vignette "Center Seat". And all of our later episodes do feature Original Series Score.

And since I and my staff of translators write SUBTITLES for every episode and translate the scritps to German, we would like to keep the people working on translating our episodes to German restricted. Also the legal part of it needs to be considered. I contacted various people at GEMA and other Movie-authorities in Germany to see if a dubb is even allowed to do here in Germany.

We try to handle this topic within this year and - hopefully - beginn a dubb. We`re keeping the fans posted.

But thank  you anyway for you interest. If the people whom we`re working on a dubb can`t continue to do so, or if we fail to produce a dubb, I`ll make sure to remember you and perhaps I contact you then.
You can find information - and all of our episodes equipped with German subtitles on our official German Mirror Site at www.startrekphase2.de. Thanks for your interest and please continue to spread the word about our production. It`s cool to see that there ARE German fans who watch our "New Voyages" of the Starship Enterprise.

Regards,
Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Stephan
Head of T Translation-Staff
Star Trek: Phase 2 Deutschland

Offline Arts-Machineries

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 09:51:11 am »
Hello,

Sorry to dig out an old topic but this is perfectly suited to my query.

I recently joined and started to translate subtitles into french language and my opinion is the same as FreddyE for the need to go beyond the subtitle and aim at the the full dubbing of episodes. French peoples are rather poor in learning english language and any content has to be dubbed to be aired. It is a fact, audience can't be good with subtitles only (but appreciated by peoples with ear disabilities).
I am not qualified for adaptation, detection and dubbing activities but willing to learn and I could find help for that. Amateur teams of movie projects also exist down here and are only waiting for serious matter to work on.

My question is: could the production team provide an international version of the soundtracks ?

This would help to get an efficient result as well as an easier work. Due to the high quality level of the episodes, a simple voice-over would not be acceptable by the viewers.
Any help in such a dubbing project would be appreciated if clearance and support are given.

Thank you.

Nicolas.
PS: french subtitles are now ready for Cs, Nws and Tsamd.

Offline Sarge

• Administrator
  • Starfleet Captain
  • General Go-To Guy
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 11:21:07 am »
Dubbing can be done and should be coordinated through either Rob, as I mentioned above, or Gary Evans. We do not provide the translations of the scripts. That will need to be done by the dubbing crew. We are already allowing dubbing into Spanish and few other languages. I'm not sure which others. I'm not keeping that list.

Sarge
Andy Grieb

Offline Arts-Machineries

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 12:17:36 pm »
Hello,

Thank you for your reply.
Since I do translate myself for the french subtitles, I have the texts as basis for the adaptation process. What I need to know is if there is a file with the sounds and music only, so it is not needed to remix it all, and this for each episode ?

I will ask to Rob Mauro and Gary Evans as recommended.

Best regards,
Nicolas.

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline PattyW

• producer, writer, costume designer
  • Starfleet Member
  • Elphie...
    • Walter Koenig's Offical Website
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 12:52:49 am »
Dubbing can be done and should be coordinated through either Rob, as I mentioned above, or Gary Evans. We do not provide the translations of the scripts. That will need to be done by the dubbing crew. We are already allowing dubbing into Spanish and few other languages. I'm not sure which others. I'm not keeping that list.

Sarge

OOPS! Old habits..... at this point in time, only James can answer questions regarding the production, per his directive. Please direct the question back to him.

Thanks.

Offline Arts-Machineries

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 03:01:33 pm »
Patty,

Thank you for the advice. I sent my question to James via private message, I hope he will consider it.

Best regards,
Nicolas.

HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<