Star Trek: Phase II

Please login or register.

Author Topic: Finally watched Trek XI  (Read 6289 times)

Offline evil_genius_180

• Evil Starship Factory
Re: Finally watched Trek XI
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2012, 12:45:40 pm »
8 The blowing up of Vulcan, who by the way did try to get as many off as they could, but why blow the whole planet all the guy had to do was kill Spocks parents fornt of him it would have gained the same feeling he wanted to see Spock in  pain.

This one I can actually answer.  He lost his world and blamed Spock for it.  It wasn't just that he lost his family, it was that he lost everything.  He wanted Spock to feel that loss, not merely the loss of family, but the loss of an entire world.  That and he clearly went insane.  ;)

Offline Gemini1999

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2012, 03:02:28 pm »
8 The blowing up of Vulcan, who by the way did try to get as many off as they could, but why blow the whole planet all the guy had to do was kill Spocks parents fornt of him it would have gained the same feeling he wanted to see Spock in  pain.

This one I can actually answer.  He lost his world and blamed Spock for it.  It wasn't just that he lost his family, it was that he lost everything.  He wanted Spock to feel that loss, not merely the loss of family, but the loss of an entire world.  That and he clearly went insane.  ;)

But if the idiot could go back in time to avenge that loss, wouldn't his time have been better spent to go back in time and either warn his people of the impending disaster, or find a way to prevent it?

Offline evil_genius_180

• Evil Starship Factory
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2012, 03:11:45 pm »

But if the idiot could go back in time to avenge that loss, wouldn't his time have been better spent to go back in time and either warn his people of the impending disaster, or find a way to prevent it?

Of course.  However, remember that bit about him going insane?  That's what a rational, sane person would do.  Wackos rarely follow any kind of rationality.

Really, for me, the failing in this movie is the attempt to tie in with the "Prime Universe."  If they weren't such wimps, they'd have just done a straight reboot and could have gotten by with a lot less plot holes and probably ticked off less fans.  But, no, they had to try and tie everything together.  ::)  (and I even like the movie)

Offline Mirror

• Half human and half unknown Phase II Catalan site
  • Mirrors
  • PROTECT ALIENS RIGHTS
    • L'HOLOCOBERTA DE STAR TREK
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2012, 09:04:01 am »
Hey, this would have been a good intro for the movie... :D

http://youtu.be/fpqHzl9s-VM

Offline evil_genius_180

• Evil Starship Factory
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2012, 12:11:06 pm »
Hey, this would have been a good intro for the movie... :D

http://youtu.be/fpqHzl9s-VM

Funny.  I hit "Like" on your page.  And, just to be clear, I don't hit that unless I really like something (unlike some people. ;))

Though, I still don't get why people think this movie is like Star Wars.  I'm a Star Wars mega fan.  I've been watching those movies longer than I have Star Trek.  I have books, video games, comics, etc.  Star Trek (2009) is nothing like Star Wars.

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline Mirror

• Half human and half unknown Phase II Catalan site
  • Mirrors
  • PROTECT ALIENS RIGHTS
    • L'HOLOCOBERTA DE STAR TREK
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2012, 02:31:45 pm »
Thank you for your "like" :)

Though, I still don't get why people think this movie is like Star Wars.  I'm a Star Wars mega fan.  I've been watching those movies longer than I have Star Trek.  I have books, video games, comics, etc.  Star Trek (2009) is nothing like Star Wars.
Well, the thing is (in my opinion, of course) that this movie is very different to any other Star Trek movie with the original cast. And because it's not a secret that JJ Abrams is a huge fan of Star Wars. So, people have connected these two things and have tried to find similarities to both Trek and Wars. If Star Wars did not exist people would have probably made connections with Mission: Impossible or any other action movie.

After that, connections with Star Wars seemed very clear, like the frozen planet (Delta Vega vs. Hoth), Spock saying "I'm not our father" vs. Darth Vader saying "I'm your father", or the destruction of Vulcan by the Narada vs. the destruction of Alderaan by the Death Star, among others.

Offline evil_genius_180

• Evil Starship Factory
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2012, 02:01:10 am »
I can make vague connections to a lot of stuff, that doesn't make it so.  :P  I think people just heard JJ was a SW fan and wanted there to be connections and, thus, they found them.  But, I digress.  Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I'm certainly not going to say anyone is wrong for thinking it's like Star Wars.  I just don't see it like that.  ;)

« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 02:03:27 am by evil_genius_180 »

Offline Saladin_CO

• Starfleet Member
  • Captain Ray Martin
    • Starship Saladin
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2012, 02:07:17 pm »
One of the problems with the 'going insane' idea is that he had a whole crew.  These people were supposedly miners and maybe could be considered 'rednecks' or something, but why would not a single one of them have the idea, "Why don't we go use the red matter on the Hobus star now, and save Romulus BEFORE it explodes?"

Maybe there's a missing scene where Nero hears that and harpoons the one that spoke out of turn or something and so the rest of them kept their mouths shut.  Or maybe when they captured Spock, he suggested it, so they decided if it was his idea, not to listen to him anymore.  Who knows?  It could have been better developed.  As it was, Nero is a cardboard cutout villain with no depth.  Khan had depth, but a lot of it was due to having "Space Seed" to refer to, rather than content in "Wrath of Khan" if you think about it.

Ken

Ray Martin is the Captain of the U.S.S. Saladin, in the latter half of the 23rd Century. Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/SaladinFacebook Episodes: http://tinyurl.com/SaladinEpisodes "Alternate starship designs are from the Starfleet Technical Manual by Franz Joseph (c) 1975

Offline evil_genius_180

• Evil Starship Factory
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2012, 02:33:21 pm »
We're talking Hollywood here.  You can't try to apply logic to anything they do.  :P

This is why I said they shouldn't have even tried the time travel story to "connect" the film to the real ST universe.  They should have just gone straight reboot.  By attempting to do so, they created too many plot holes.

Offline Carwyn

• I got bored.... so I shaved my head
    • Cognitive Dreams
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2012, 09:42:31 am »
I think this movie suffers from lazy writing above all else to they seemd to bypass logic and what made sense in favour of trying to make a "cool looking" scene to me the entire movie is a collection of deliberately forced action scenes and so called cool shots that are loosely strung together with a weak plot.

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!