Star Trek: Phase II

Please login or register.

Author Topic: A sequal episode?  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Chroniton

Re: A sequal episode?
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 03:27:27 pm »
I intended no offense to Christians. I would have felt that way had any old Earth religion (or new one, for that matter) been applied to an entirely different planet and culture, no matter what Hodgkin's Law might suggest.
I have no problem with  a philosophy of peace and brotherhood. I simply object to it being ascribed to an ancient religion from light-years away.

Given the exact nature of both the Roman Empire and the religion coupled with the similar situation in TOS:  The Paradise Syndrome it's morethen likely that Planet 892 IV, "Magna Roma" is the result of the Prevesers, "preserving" another Earth civilization they found interesting, (either by using transproters or recreating it from scratch) thus some some early christians, (ie: Son worshippers) being taken aswell.  (See: http://canonfodder.ex-astris-scientia.org/index.php?Alien_Races:The_Preservers).

A related point I hope this sequel episode will prove wrong is the idea forwarded by an Enterprise deleted, (and thus not timeline 2 and 3 canon) scene that suggested the Terran Empire was a continuation of the ancient Roman one, (despite the lack of any design ancient roman design elements/iconography).

Offline FGL

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 05:34:18 pm »
Any different than the episode where Kirk joins the local indian tribe?

They might have been talking about the Sun God or something too, then again there seems to be a lot of paganism in Trek, does this bother you just as much? Shouldn't it?

Offline DCR

• Recruit
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 02:09:14 pm »
I know this is late... and I'm sorry but I did want to add something here.

I have no problems with Christianity being represented on Star Trek, however I do think it requires a connection to Earth at some point in the past to work.

The reason why the idea of a planet with no connection to Earth displaying Christianity does not sit as well with me as having such a planet display paganism is because they are very different things. Christianity is one specific Earthly religion, paganism is an umbrella term for a class of religions of which there are thousands of kinds on Earth. It's an umbrella  term, not one specific thing.

It wouldn't work for me if an alien planet produced a religion that was identical to one of the Earthly forms of paganism, because then I would need to see the connection.

With no connection I would prefer to see a religion like Christianity, not Christianity itself. From the evidence, the paganism displayed on many Star Trek episodes is like Earthly paganism, but is not the same as any existing or historical pagan belief.

It's general vs. specific.

Offline MSgtGlennSmith

• In-House 1st Ass't Director "Enemy:Starfleet" 2nd A.D. Writer: STP2 Illustrated
  • Global Moderator
  • Starfleet Captain
  • Born to CREATE!
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 04:43:36 pm »
I follow your reasoning, DCR, but keep in mind that this episode, like everything else ever produced since film was invented, plays to an audience on Earth, made up of people from Earth. Sometimes allowances have to be made in drama so the audience can more closely relate to the story.
"Solfleet: The Call of Duty" available for the Kindle and Kindle apps at Amazon.com and other Amazon sites around the world!

Offline DCR

• Recruit
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 09:43:35 pm »
I follow your reasoning, DCR, but keep in mind that this episode, like everything else ever produced since film was invented, plays to an audience on Earth, made up of people from Earth. Sometimes allowances have to be made in drama so the audience can more closely relate to the story.

Oh I agree, I write for a living so I'm familiar with the need of writing to the audience.

My actual point was more that the person wondering why paganism on alien worlds didn't draw the same reaction as Christianity was creating a false equivalence by comparing the generic paganism of the "Indians" on that one planet to the Christianity in "Bread and Circuses."

What adds to it, though, is that if I remember right there are mentions to the Classical Pantheon in "Bread and Circuses," as they named their cars after the old gods. That is a better comparison, but it's muddied by the fact that earlier that same season, in "Who Mourns for Adonais," it was established in canon that the Classical Pantheon were actually a race of alien explorers who early humans worshiped as gods, which could give an explanation for references to them on Magna Roma.

As for my own private "head canon," I just use the idea that there was an earthly connection at some point in the past.

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline MSgtGlennSmith

• In-House 1st Ass't Director "Enemy:Starfleet" 2nd A.D. Writer: STP2 Illustrated
  • Global Moderator
  • Starfleet Captain
  • Born to CREATE!
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 05:06:10 pm »

Oh I agree, I write for a living so I'm familiar with the need of writing to the audience.

My actual point was more that the person wondering why paganism on alien worlds didn't draw the same reaction as Christianity was creating a false equivalence by comparing the generic paganism of the "Indians" on that one planet to the Christianity in "Bread and Circuses."

What adds to it, though, is that if I remember right there are mentions to the Classical Pantheon in "Bread and Circuses," as they named their cars after the old gods. That is a better comparison, but it's muddied by the fact that earlier that same season, in "Who Mourns for Adonais," it was established in canon that the Classical Pantheon were actually a race of alien explorers who early humans worshiped as gods, which could give an explanation for references to them on Magna Roma.

As for my own private "head canon," I just use the idea that there was an earthly connection at some point in the past.

Oh, okay. I follow now.
"Solfleet: The Call of Duty" available for the Kindle and Kindle apps at Amazon.com and other Amazon sites around the world!