Star Trek: Phase II

Please login or register.

HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!
Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<< 

Author Topic: Gary Evans and Facebookl  (Read 870 times)

Offline Tony F

• Official annual assember of the Bridge systems BoilerMan and Electronics design and repair for Retrofilm Studios
  • Crew
  • Starfleet Member
  • My South Park Avatar Provided by Kim Rodenberry
Re: Gary Evans and Facebookl
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 08:13:31 am »
its fuuny how many people said on this board they would never use it
and im now friends with  Right ??  Chris Larouche??

:hyst:

Facebook kept me in touch with some friends that i would not have kept in touch with otherwise
this landed me in the middle of made for tv movie on SyFy Channel

Facebook Sucks!     
Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the
promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue
sky?

Offline Dyno

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 01:56:18 pm »
The friends aspect of facebook is the reason many are there, not the FB experience itself.  It becomes the only way you can interact with friends because it's the only place they hang out.

But, as posts below show, because there are so many on FB, the friends aspect can be a very valuable asset.

Bri

Offline Lab Mouse

• Lab Mouse
  • Global Moderator
  • Starfleet Captain
  • ...Are YOU of THE NARF?????
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 11:33:48 pm »
Gary
NARF
:)
NARF

Offline Lost Shuttle 2

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 11:50:29 am »
I like many was not ever going to do facebook why, because when I was told I should join it was for the same reason So my friends from school could find me Hey I have not been hiding out I am in the same town I was brought up in, I live in the same house, Yea so what I'm here it's here so why not. If any of my friends from school want to find me I'm not hard to find. If a thank you from a writer who had been int he hospital could find me with just my first name and town on it they can find me, btw at the time there were at least 6 other girls in town with same first name.

So one day I get a email from an actress who was in a show in 1959, she does poetry which I think is good so any ways she is on facebook and post her poetry did I want to join, so I joined, and have been enjoying her poetry,and the chats we have had, and seeing the world through her eyes. any ways next thing I know some people off a couple sites I go to wanted to be friended, now I planned on only being on Anna's site right now I have 37 friends all of whom I have been friend with since I joined the site we are on.. I don't friend everyone who asks why cos one lady said on a site she *Stalks the people she knows on facebook* as in she reads your profile then has to have a say in what she thinks is wrong.. sorry you take me as I am do not try to change me or it is not me. another made it clear she wanted to beat another persons number so was trying to get anyone to join so she would have more friends listed, sorry I don't just fill your site to make you have more people.

I had no idea what I was going to talk about I never think I have anything to say sooo I  post about the museum and what is happening, I post about my *stray* babies and how they are doing, ok I guess now they are not strays any more,I have them tamed down so they enjoy being held well by me since they have not met many new people. I had a poem I wanted to show off so I posted it, a friend read it and asked to put on her blog she is a writer, its one the day  the strays showed up.

I don't gossip, I don't put anyone down, I don't do the games, I may like something but they are few and far between. and I keep getting emails telling me I need to fill out more on my profile, whats there is there. I just want to know how  Linkin what ever it is got my name I have not joined them. I  post more on the yahoo sites I'm on then I do facebook.

I do visit  a few actors sites like Randy Mantooth's, Who is still working to help get people to join and become EMTS and keeps up on what is going on with fire departments....Richard Hatch of BSG fame not the other one. Johnny Crawford who is going to be in Ohio during the Bix Biederbeck festival,and a few others. but I want to be sure they are ok'ed by the actor and not just fan pages. because if it is ok'ed by the actor I can say hi esp if its one I can't find a snail mail address for BUT I still like to send real mail.

So yes I am on it, and if you want to know what we are doing at the museum, what my 4 legged kids are doing or what wild life I have seen ok if not then I'm not the page for you to be on, and I'm ok with that.

Offline Gemini1999

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 04:53:18 pm »
Reluctantly joining Facebook at the behest of some friends and family isn't what I expected...  Originally, I had family as well as a few friends asking me to do so.  The main reason being given was so I could see pictures, etc. that I wouldn't have access to unless they were emailed to me, or looked at them in person.  I held off for a long time, but then did just a basic registration so I could check it periodically and to quell the "you're not on Facebook?" comments.

What I didn't expect was having to read through every thought, or "like" that people I were associated with to show up where I had to weed my way through them.  I also didn't expect the plethora of "recommended" FB pages (mostly business or product related).  I even find myself "hiding" the personal notes regarding political or religious dogma being thrust into my view on a regular basis.

Personally, I don't see why people are so addicted to FB.  I've made the odd connection with actors and TV personalities, which is a side benefit.  It's kind of interesting getting notes from your favorite Food Network chef or an actor on a show you enjoy, but it's not like I know them, or they know me, but still fun.

At times, it's overwhelming and when it is, I just don't visit the website.  I've learned how to minimize notifications that show up in my email account and how to restrict access and notifications from friends of friends, etc.

As for "social networking"...hardly.  It's great for people that live great distances away from each other, but if it's someone you work with, or only live a few miles away from...at times, it feels like a lazy method of "keeping in touch" with a minimum of effort.

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline AlecWest

• Crew
  • Starfleet Member
  • Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit.
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2013, 10:47:02 pm »
I guess I'm just a member of the flat earth society.  There are topic-specific forums everywhere so people can communicate with others interested in a given topic.  And these forums are set up by people who have that topic interest.  So, forums are enough to satisfy that need for e-socializing.  If a person is a "real" friend or colleague (as opposed to an acquaintance), chances are I have their email address or phone number ... so I email or phone them instead.  But I've never seen the need to join a third-party website whose purpose is to make money off the people who "join" it.  I suppose that, to some, being exploited for monetary gain is OK - as long as they get something in return.  Point is, there are so many sites to visit that allow people to find who and what they're looking for without being exploited - so why do the exploiter a favor?

Oh well, to each their own.

Regards,
J. Alec West
"When you least expect it, someone may actually listen to what you have to say."
-- Maggie Kuhn, founder of the Gray Panthers

http://p2trek.com - http://farragut.novelhost.net - http://potemkin.novelhost.net
http://Trek-A-Lot.p2trek.com

PENFIELD MUSEUM
THE PENFIELD MUSEUM - 703 Creek Road - Crown Point, NY - (518) 597-3804Home of the "3rd Annual Halloween Haunted Homestead - 2012"