Star Trek: Phase II

Please login or register.

HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!
Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<< 

Author Topic: A Trek dry spell on TV.  (Read 817 times)

Offline Aaron-5

A Trek dry spell on TV.
« on: October 08, 2012, 06:44:46 pm »
The title of this topic holds true for a humble trekkie,because I have recently discovered that on all my local tv listings that none of the networks show any and I do not mean any star trek shows whatsoever,nope not one. Not the original series,not TNG,not DS9,voy or even enterprise. I am...as the topic title says,am in the middle of dry trek spell. D*** networks these days.

Here's another thing I did discover on a couple of visits to my sister in colorado,I found that they show trek tos on their tv stations and even in missouri,while here in ohio there's none on,can you believe that?

Now,I know what some of you would say,get netflix or even the dvd boxed sets of tos,(which I will someday eventually.)I just can't believe after seeing trek tos on my tv for years,the show is now a rarity for me. If it ever comes back on the air again for me,(hoping.)I will defintely do some heavy duty recording and that's a promise.

I guess you don't really appreciate something till it's gone,and thanks to jame's trek series I have really come to appreciate the original trek so much more.

One last thing,anyone else around here been having a dry spell on trek,just wondering if anyone can relate?

Offline warp_10

Re: A Trek dry spell on TV.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 07:26:32 pm »
Same here in Central Florida... About the only place I can find Trek is on the way-up-there digital cable stations. TNG plays almost daily on BBC America and TOS every now and then on a station called MeTV. No sign of DS9, VOY or ENT anywhere around here. A very unusual occurrence that's only happened over the last couple of years (not long after JJ's co-called Trek came out, oddly enough). We used to be flooded with Trek in the Orlando area.

=/\= Jimmy

Offline evil_genius_180

• Evil Starship Factory
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 12:05:09 am »
I certainly believe the bit about them not being shown in Ohio because I live in Ohio.  The last time I saw Trek on was in 2006 or 07, when they were airing the "remastered" TOS shows.  But, they didn't even see that through.  Of course, it didn't help that they were on at a dumb time.  Fortunately, though, I'm one of those people that has them all on DVD.  TOS, (with the original effects) TAS, TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise.  I also have all of the Phase II episodes, Starship Farragut, Hidden Frontier and some other fan projects.

Offline warp_10

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 06:03:32 pm »
Indeed, I have them all on DVD as well, it's just a shame that you can't even run across them on TV anymore. And, come to think of it, you're right about the silly timeslots they put it in. I remember when Trek was slowly fading off of TV here, they were playing them at ridiculous hours of the day: 2, 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning...

=/\= Jimmy
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 08:37:09 pm by warp_10 »

Offline scifib5st

• To Boldly Go...
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 08:31:09 pm »
With Direct TV we get the occasonal ST Movie.  No "MeTV" 
Out here in Washington with BBC America with Dr. Who on holidays we get the Twlight Zone marthon on the Scifi Channel.  No more Star Trek,  good point, bad for us.  :crys:

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline Tony F

• Official annual assember of the Bridge systems BoilerMan and Electronics design and repair for Retrofilm Studios
  • Crew
  • Starfleet Member
  • My South Park Avatar Provided by Kim Rodenberry
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 08:40:31 pm »
JJ is killing all TREK except his....this is his master plan
Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the
promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue
sky?

Offline evil_genius_180

• Evil Starship Factory
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 02:18:16 am »
JJ is killing all TREK except his....this is his master plan

Yeah, pretty much.  Though, I'm not sure it's necessarily JJ doing it.  I think Paramount has intentionally pulled everything they can to keep focus on his "Trek."  You hardly ever even see new books coming out.

Offline Aaron-5

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 08:52:08 am »
I know what you guys mean,man I hate television these days,I just watch my home theater of VHS/DVD shows and movies lately.

However,I still live in hope that someday the original Trek will air again on my tv again. It's just a matter of time.

Offline DianeD44

• Russians invented everything worth inventing
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 11:12:54 pm »
As Evil Genius pointed out, it's rare that there are any new Star Trek books coming out.   An occasional novel in the post Next Gen era.  But nothing based on the Original Series or even JJ's,   Granted, I haven't checked the bookstores frequently but when I go into a bookstore, I'll usually swing by the Star Trek/Sci Fi section to see if there are any.  But nada
I like my Russian boys on ice and on the bridge of the U.S.S.  Enterprise.

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline startrekphase2DE

• Phase II German Mirror, Webmaster, Video editing/conversion
  • Crew
    • Star Trek Phase II, English, French, German and Spanish
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 07:20:17 am »
I receive both British and German TV and Star Trek is still going strong in both these countries.

In the UK, the movies are still going strong on the main channels (e.g. Insurrection on Channel 4 today) and the series are still being shown on a number of smaller stations like Sky Atlantic (Voyager), Pick TV (TNG), CBS Action (TOS). Click here to see how many Star Trek programs can be seen in the UK and northern Europe by satellite (how I receive it).

In Germany, where Europe's largest Star Trek convention takes place each year, Star Trek can be seen daily (dubbed into German) on a number of channels as can be seen here.

I presume it is similar in other European countries. Definitely no lack of Star Trek on TV over here...

Regards

Peter
Star Trek Phase II German Mirror:
http://www.startrekphase2.de

English, German, French, Spanish
Subtitles also available in additional languages...

Offline AlecWest

• Crew
  • Starfleet Member
  • Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit.
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 01:28:35 pm »
Well, it's not a total Trek vacuum.  HDNET movies (cable and satellite) has been showing the Trek I and Trek II movies regularly, back to back, over the last month.  And, they're showing them today:

http://www.hdnetmovies.com/schedules/?ads=0

And MEtv stations (local in my area but also cable and satellite) shows TOS episodes every Saturday night:

http://metvnetwork.com/programs.php?showID=41

TVland (cable and satellite) also shows TOS episodes though I'm not certain how frequently:

http://www.tvland.com/shows/star-trek-original-series

Regards,
J. Alec West
"When you least expect it, someone may actually listen to what you have to say."
-- Maggie Kuhn, founder of the Gray Panthers

http://p2trek.com - http://farragut.novelhost.net - http://potemkin.novelhost.net
http://Trek-A-Lot.p2trek.com

PENFIELD MUSEUM
THE PENFIELD MUSEUM - 703 Creek Road - Crown Point, NY - (518) 597-3804Home of the "3rd Annual Halloween Haunted Homestead - 2012"