Star Trek: Phase II

Please login or register.

HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!
Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<< 

Author Topic: Just beamed up from France  (Read 685 times)

Offline Arts-Machineries

• Recruit
Just beamed up from France
« on: October 23, 2012, 12:52:35 pm »
Hello, all !

I am Nicolas, I live near Paris and work as "versatile man".
I discovered the P2 series only 2 weeks ago and I decided to support via Indiegogo and to join this forum because I think the initiative of continuing the adventure is fascinating. My interest in Star trek has always been limited to TOS and I never watched the spin-offs because I don't like the overdose of SFX of todays every film, always more disgusting aliens and useless violence. I do not need to see the hero to fly while punching the bad guys and I think the story is more important. In this, TOS was first class. I try to keep open minded and recently watched a TNG episode, it was not bad and I will probably watch other ones but P2 is more in the way I used to see Star Trek.
you will find that my culture of the series is rather limited, I only saw it once in the mid-eighties and my memory is not very good but the feeling is the same.

I hope I could help to spread P2 in the french community, more if possible.
I wish to congratulate every people involved in P2 and say thank you for making the dream last longer. Your work is very impressive and i could not imagine it would be possible to handle such a project.

Sincerely,
Nicolas.

Offline barbreader

• 53 Year Old Turtle... keep those teenagers!
    • Star Trek Reviewed
Re: Just beamed up from France
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 05:25:39 pm »
Welcome to the Phase II Forums.   You might be able to help Phase II with French subtitles, I don't know exactly which episodes already have them in the works, but I'm certain some of them do not yet have them available for download and viewing.

Offline Dyno

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 06:40:46 pm »
Welcome aboard, Nicolas!  It's great to have you here!

Bri

Offline startrekphase2DE

• Phase II German Mirror, Webmaster, Video editing/conversion
  • Crew
    • Star Trek Phase II, English, French, German and Spanish
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 07:25:56 am »
Hi Nicolas,
Welcome to P2 and the forum. I coordinate subtitles for various languages and we do really need more French subtitles. So far, we only have French subtitles for "World Enough and Time" and it would be great if you could join our international team of people creating subtitles.

You will find all our episodes with subtitles on the German mirror and on the subtitled YouTube channel we run.
http://www.startrekphase2.de
http://www.youtube.com/user/startrekphase2DE

To make it easier, you are welcome to download the English subtitles from www.startrekphase2.de and use that as a basis for subtitles in French.
Some subtitling programs, like Subtitle Edit, will automatically Google translate subtitles into other languages. This might make things easier for you.

So if you are interested in helping us out, that would be a great way to do it.

Let me know if you are interested.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 07:29:30 am by trekcon »
Star Trek Phase II German Mirror:

English, German, French, Spanish
Subtitles also available in additional languages...

Offline Arts-Machineries

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 11:25:31 am »
Hello,

Thank you for your answers, and for the offer to help with translation. I am not used to subtitles but as one of my secondary jobs is to translate english technical books I publish under licence into french version, I could handle this... So yes! I am interested to join the team. But I will need to get back in the french original series to pick-up some terms used by the original translation team.
What a nice way to enter the P2 world !

Thanks again,
Nicolas.

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline Arts-Machineries

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 02:44:35 pm »
@ Trekcon
Hi Peter,

I downloaded some subtitles and episodes, as well as the subtitle edit software. I tried to change some lines and it seemed to be OK, so I guess I could handle the thing. I use the source view and change only the text so the duration and synchro remain the same.
Then, what is the next step ? Should I start as is or is there something special to arrange first ? Any priority ?

Sincerely,
Nicolas.

Offline startrekphase2DE

• Phase II German Mirror, Webmaster, Video editing/conversion
  • Crew
    • Star Trek Phase II, English, French, German and Spanish
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 03:39:45 pm »
Hi Nicolas,
I suggest you try translating the short episodes ("Vignettes") first as they are done quickly and this allows you to get a feel for it. In Subtitle-Edit, you might want to try using the Auto-Translate function to make a rough translation into French. You can then simply go through each line and correct it into proper French. Once you are finished, you can simply send the file to me (I will pm you my email address) and I will ensure it is properly distributed.

Once you have got those done, I suggest you choose one of the later episodes and translate that.

No need to translate World Enough and Time, as we already have French subtitles for that.

You should find the job relatively straightforward and it is great to know that you are helping thousands of people to better understand New Voyages: Phase II episodes. I create the English subtitles, myself.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Regards

Peter
Star Trek Phase II German Mirror:

English, German, French, Spanish
Subtitles also available in additional languages...

Offline pcvulkan

• Sr Production Assistant - RFS FIVE-O
  • Production Design Team
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 12:38:03 am »
Nicolas, welcome to P2 and to the forums. Feel free to make comments observations or open a new thread.
Thanks for helping to translate and create subtitle for the episodes. That way more people can enjoy them in their native languages.

Pat