Star Trek: Phase II

Please login or register.

HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!
Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<< 

Author Topic: Star Trek: Into Darkness -- Trailer Speculation  (Read 2080 times)

Offline Aahz

• Cage-Era Navigator in "Origins"; Production Assistant to Whoever Hollered Last
  • Crew
  • "Stop making the ship turn left!" - D. Gerrold
    • Triple-W GoFoods Global
Re: Star Trek: Into Darkness -- Trailer Speculation
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 10:33:08 pm »
From the trailer we don't KNOW it's the Enterprise in the water - all we see is "NCC" - and we do see a Federation starship shape crashing into water, apparently on Earth. But the engine struts look like they curve downward - I doubt it's Enterprise.

Yeah, the ship crashing into the water is not the Enterprise.  That much is certain.  The nacelles are too square-ish and are lacking the big fin-like intercoolers on the back.  Plus, as you said, the pylons are wrong.

Judging from the trailer shown during the SuperBowl (I didn't watch the game, just the ads and the halftime show ... and the lights going out), the ship crashing into the water could VERY WELL be the Enterprise.  The Enterprise -- registry NCC-1701 -- has suffered some serious damage, and is plummeting into the atmosphere.  Conceivably, it crashes into the water, sinks, they make repairs underwater, then it rises back out of the water.

What do we know about the foe?  He's a humanoid male, and is self-described in his exchange with Kirk as "better at everything".  Which old foes would fit that description?
Gary Mitchell (as several have speculated)
Khan (as several have also speculated)
Charlie Evans
Norman (head android from "I, Mudd" -- that would put an interesting spin on the new movie)
Roger Korby (his android duplicate, anyway)
Apollo

I don't think Garth of Izar would fall into that category -- he was simply a brilliant starship captain, but not better at everything (including physical - it is also known that he can withstand a Vulcan nerve pinch)

He also says, "You think your world is safe.  It is not."  Now who of the above might say that?
Gary Mitchell
Khan
Norman

I don't think Charlie Evans would say that.  That sounds like a mature quote, and Charlie was pretty immature.  But in the alternate timeline, perhaps Charlie was born earlier and has had time to mature -- and time for his feelings to sour.

And I don't think Roger Korby's android would threaten the Earth like that.  Although this is in the altered timeline, the Old Ones and their equipment would be the same.  Even Ruk could not remember that far back.  And the equipment duplicated unaltered the mind of the original subject.

Now, if the threat to the Federation comes from within, that eliminates Khan, leaving Mitchell and Norman.  Norman managed to infiltrate the Enterprise, passing as a new crewman for some time until it was the right time to take over the ship.  But I still like the idea of seeing Mitchell again.  They would have to make a trip to the galactic barrier so he could get the shock of his life -- him and Elizabeth Dehner, who could be the blonde.

I tell you what, though -- I think a good story might be to revisit the Federation/Klingon war from "Errand of Mercy", but this time they don't encounter the Organians.  Can you imagine an unrestrained Kor bringing a Klingon invasion fleet to the core of the Federation?  It would be glorious!   ;D
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 10:46:18 pm by Aahz »
Non-sequitur -- Your facts are un-coordinated.
-------
"I MADE MASHED POTATOES!!" -- Gir
"Yes.  And muffins." -- Zim

Offline evil_genius_180

• Evil Starship Factory
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 03:45:32 am »
The ship that crashes into the water has differently shaped nacelles and pylons.  Yes, I know the Enterprise gets messed up, I watched the Super Bowl and some of the commercials.  I don't get the hype about those, they're no better than commercials the rest of the year.  However, I am a Football fan, so I enjoyed the game.

It's hard to say how badly the ship is damaged in the new Star Trek but, if a ship crashed into the water like that, you're talking total destruction.  There's no bouncing back.  (no, the BOP in STIV doesn't count, that was a controlled crash landing, not a belly flop)  I doubt they're going to go as far as completely destroying the ship.  I seems unlikely that, if they give a 25-year old captain a brand new ship and he destroys it that quickly, they'll give him another one.  But, I also don't expect them to follow logic like that, they didn't in the first film.  (yes, I like the film, despite its flaws)

As for the villain, I'm still not speculating.  It may not even be a character from the original Star Trek series at all.  The villain in the first film wasn't anyone familiar.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 03:48:25 am by evil_genius_180 »

Offline qoSagh

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 02:17:05 pm »
I tell you what, though -- I think a good story might be to revisit the Federation/Klingon war from "Errand of Mercy", but this time they don't encounter the Organians.  Can you imagine an unrestrained Kor bringing a Klingon invasion fleet to the core of the Federation?  It would be glorious!

Funny, I had a conversation about that but not in the context of the new movie the other day over the phone. I had theorized someone using the Guardian of Forever to go back and make sure neither side ever reached Organia, thus the isolationist Organians never had any reason to interfere with the war or it's natural progression. Well more precisely I had used that act as the reasoning for not allowing further access to the Guardian. Either way that is way off topic, so I will stop here.

Offline Saladin_CO

• Starfleet Member
  • Captain Ray Martin
    • Starship Saladin
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 12:48:40 am »
I think we can now rule out Gary Mitchell, thanks to Kirk's, "Who are you?" question.  Since the same writers wrote the comic appearance of Gary Mitchell already, we know that Kirk knew Gary already.  So that still leaves 'Khan' or an equivalent.  I'm starting to think that they originally wanted a canon character, but scrapped using Khan and just kept the khancept....

Ray Martin is the Captain of the U.S.S. Saladin, in the latter half of the 23rd Century. Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/SaladinFacebook Episodes: http://tinyurl.com/SaladinEpisodes "Alternate starship designs are from the Starfleet Technical Manual by Franz Joseph (c) 1975

Offline evil_genius_180

• Evil Starship Factory
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 01:18:09 am »
Gary Mitchell was also already done in the IDW comics.  Sure, the movies have ignored the comics in the past, making many things done in them invalid, but we have no way of knowing if that's how JJ rolls.  Plus, where was Gary in the first movie, when Kirk was at the Academy?  In the original series, it was clear that Mitchell was Kirk's best friend at the Academy but, in the first JJ film, McCoy filled that role.  (besides, assuming Mitchell's fate wasn't also altered, he should have been a few years ahead of Kirk at the Academy in the new timeline)

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline Berenixium

• A Technomage of No Mean Power!
  • Starfleet Member
  • Ars Magica Est Vitae!
    • Tumblr Technomagic
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2013, 07:49:05 pm »
A Picard echo from ST: Generations Nexus. Mitchell. Khan. Someone new.

My speculation is on one of those. 'Someone new' is leaning to be the strongest lead, but is John Harrison a red herring or not? I'm still deciding. John Harrison in real world history was a famous 17th / 18th century chronometer maker.. hints of a time traveller there if applied to the new movie.. but we will see.

Still watching these forums on a regular basis, Facebook might start getting bigger and painful ideas for itself now it's gone IPO (opinion related joke). Always best to balance, diversify and keep options open on the Net. The franchise's continuance by Into Darkness being a good, and approved, example for keeping Star Trek going in various ways.

Offline 1st Ometik'lan

• Recruit
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2013, 07:29:45 pm »
VICTORY IS LIFE !