Star Trek: Phase II

Please login or register.

Entertainment Earth
Star Trek Collectibles, Action Figures & More!

Author Topic: Continues Can't Stand Criticism?  (Read 1750 times)

Offline TimPendragon

Continues Can't Stand Criticism?
« on: January 27, 2013, 11:15:23 pm »
I don't want to dredge up old arguments, but something happened today that really surprised me. I'm friends with Chris Doohan on Facebook, we've never met of course, so I don't pretend that we have any type of relationship other than a few little conversations here and there. Anyhow, he posted a vignette from Star Trek Continues today, which I watched (just to see his version of Scotty).

Of course, everyone who replied was all agog, and yeah, it was good, especially Chris' part. My comment was short and simple, just "Chris, I love your performance, but I'm sorry, the more I see of Vic Mignogna as Kirk, the less I like." Nothing untoward or offensive, I would've thought. Just a simple statement of the truth, of my opinion. Within five minutes, after receiving a couple of "likes," my comment was deleted. And the unabashed adoration continues.

Honestly, I was expecting much better from Chris Doohan. I wasn't being mean spirited, but it seems as though Star Trek Continues cannot suffer any criticism at all, no matter how mild. That seems perfectly in line with (my perception of) Vic Mignogna's ego; it's a real shame that Chris Doohan seems to have imbibed his kool-aid.

Offline barbreader

• 53 Year Old Turtle... keep those teenagers!
    • Star Trek Reviewed
Re: Continues Can't Stand Criticism?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 08:25:53 pm »
I honestly think doing Kirk in any way which is not just a Parody of Shatner is going to annoy SOMEBODY. 

I like Cawley's Kirk, but I think he's a little TOO noble.  For me, Vic's Kirk is MUCH too noble., totally over the top.  But then, I didn't became a real Trek fan until TNG precisely because I couldn't stand the character of Kirk.   

Part of what worked in TOS,  IMHO, was that Kirk was so flawed.  He wasn't the perfect boss... far from it.  But he wasn't a character made to be a bad boss. He was a better-than-average boss, with real flaws.   I have worked for worse, heaven knows.  He was a leader, not an icon.  Fans turn him into an icon.  JJ Abrams turned him into Luke Skywalker. 

I hope that now that James Cawley will be occupying only the directors and producer's chair, we will get a more complicated Kirk from Phase II.  Not a Kirk whose problems with women are only out of patriotism for his ship, but because he is a guy with problems in how he treats women.  Maybe a few other issues, too. 

As far as Star Trek Continues is concerned, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.  The shorts they have  released have been, IMHO, more a bore than anything else.  I understand they were shooting their first episode this month.  I try to stay positive on my website.  But I still classify them as a series that has no releases. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:44:42 am by barbreader »

Online jrtrek

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 08:58:43 pm »
Just watched the three shorts.  I liked the concept of the extended ending for the Turnabout intruder. I can definitely see your objections to Vic Mignogna's interpretation of Kirk. Kirk, in my view, was kind of an arrogant SOB - and that's just what I loved about his character. He was also a little narcissistic. It made him real because anyone good enough to be a Federation Ship's Captain would have to necessarily internalize these feelings to make it to the top. You can't be the best without believing that you are. It leaves little room for the kind "squishy" feelings Vic portrays.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline Tony F

• Official annual assember of the Bridge systems BoilerMan and Electronics design and repair for Retrofilm Studios
  • Crew
  • Starfleet Member
  • My South Park Avatar Provided by Kim Rodenberry
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 09:20:26 pm »
SELF DELETED
Boy do I wish I could reply
Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the
promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue
sky?

Offline TimPendragon

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 10:09:41 pm »
So I showed the vignettes to my Mom last night. She was a fan back in the 60s, I'm a second-generation Trekkie by birth, so I wanted to see what she'd think. Before I said a word, her initial reaction was, "Wow, that's one slimy, smarmy Kirk."

She did really like Chris Doohan's Scotty, though.

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline Anthony

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 01:42:00 pm »
It seems to me, that no two actors ever can do the part exactly the same way.  The actors personality and natural style colors the portral of the character being play.  James did not play Kirk the way Shatner did, the new guy will not be the same as Jame.  So it goes on that Vic over at ST:C will not be the same as Shatner or James as well.  So do not be as harsh as you are being, give it time and see how it plays out.

Offline MSgtGlennSmith

• In-House 1st Ass't Director "Enemy:Starfleet" 2nd A.D. Writer: STP2 Illustrated
  • Global Moderator
  • Starfleet Captain
  • Born to CREATE!
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 06:24:24 pm »
To everyone in general: Just a note of caution here: As many of you know, there has been some unpleasantness in the past between SOME members/fans of Phase-II and SOME members/fans of Str Trek: Continues. You are free to continue discussing ST:C here for as long as James allows it, but think before you post. As always, personal attacks against anyone will not be permitted. CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is fine, but keep it civil.
"Solfleet: The Call of Duty" available for the Kindle and Kindle apps at Amazon.com and other Amazon sites around the world!

Offline Aaron-5

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 12:13:34 am »
I just wanna say this,as much a fan I am of james trek series since I first watched some of it's episodes. I look forward to what vic has got with his trek just as much.

That's all I have to say.

Online jrtrek

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 08:43:20 am »
I agree! They have potential to some good work, and it's nice to see some new stuff being created. The production values are good, and the acting will improve as they hit their stride. This is off topic, but I'd also say that this has brought some life back onto this forum. I'm not sure if it's the winter doldrums that has hit here, but the level of activity has been very low.

I just wanna say this,as much a fan I am of james trek series since I first watched some of it's episodes. I look forward to what vic has got with his trek just as much.

That's all I have to say.

Offline Anthony

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 12:09:39 pm »
Winter, economy, real world.  :'(

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline scifib5st

• To Boldly Go...
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 10:13:20 pm »
This is off topic, but I'd also say that this has brought some life back onto this forum. I'm not sure if it's the winter doldrums that has hit here, but the level of activity has been very low.

I totaly agree.  This site was hopping just two years ago!  This was the place for daily info on production, pictures, comments.  Now my lawn ( in winter) is growing faster than the comments and ideas that have been added to here. 

And by the by, I still think that with several great TOS FANFILMS working their A$$es off, some day in the furture, we will have several versions of TOS Starships giving us great entertainment and voyages that would make Gene Roddenberry smile.  I think James would be a great editor or 'Conductor' to help more this ,'Enterprise' forward. 

Thank you all for your hard work.

Offline Tony F

• Official annual assember of the Bridge systems BoilerMan and Electronics design and repair for Retrofilm Studios
  • Crew
  • Starfleet Member
  • My South Park Avatar Provided by Kim Rodenberry
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 12:18:01 am »
Noone comes here we are all on Facebook..
Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the
promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue
sky?