Star Trek: Phase II

Please login or register.

PENFIELD MUSEUM
THE PENFIELD MUSEUM - 703 Creek Road - Crown Point, NY - (518) 597-3804Home of the "3rd Annual Halloween Haunted Homestead - 2012"

Author Topic: Star Trek parody: Ensign Sue must die  (Read 437 times)

Offline Aaron-5

Star Trek parody: Ensign Sue must die
« on: February 02, 2013, 02:34:19 pm »
I actually stumbled across this series of strips about this wacky character. Anyone ever hear about this and what do they think of it?

http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&global=1&q=ensign+sue+must+die&offset=24#/d2qnaja

Personally,I think she's kinda cute,but what I've read about her she must be the equivalent of star wars character Jar Jar Binks.

Ah,comedic characters.

Offline Mark Briody

Re: "Ensign Sue ..." - Origin of phrase
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 07:22:45 pm »
Ensign Sue seems to originate from the decades-old meme of 'Mary Sue' fan fiction.  Back in the day, Fan magazines ('zines) would publish mimeographed short stories either singly or in anthologies.  Good 'zines that were published in paperback: "Best of Trek" which includes "Mind Sifter".  The more tongue in cheek "Visit to a Weird Planet" and " . . . Revisited" tells the tale when our heroes A) Find themselves on a TV set, or B) Actors who find themselves on the real Enterprise.  A notable fan fiction author that made it big is Jean Lorrah: her "Night of the Twin Moons" or any 'NTM' story highlights the passion between Amanda and Sarek.  Her mass-market published books include "IDIC Epidemic".
Ahem. . .
Mary Sue, however, is typified by a 'zine in which the visiting character is living out the (typically female) author's dreams:  Stronger and sexier than Kirk, smarter than Spock, and usually makes time with one or both.  It's some of the worst kind of writing; the term is derogatory. 
From an older fan to a younger.
mark

Offline Aaron-5

Re: Star Trek parody: Ensign Sue must die
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 11:34:05 pm »
Well,I did ask to begin with didn't I ? Heh.

Anyways,as Spock and Data themelves would say..Fascinating. Thanks a load for the info on that info Mark,it was well appreciated. I am aware of that there was the existence of such star trek fanzines(I need to look into them sometime.)and I myself did read the story Mind Sifter in a copy of ST the new voyages,good story that it was.

I had no idea that there was such a fanfiction concept to begin with,now I can see why it was parodied on what I found.
That makes sense when you think about it.

Btw,i'm a pretty old fan myself of Trek,in case you're wondering.  Years since I was a kid,just viewed trek more in tv than actual publications back then.

Offline qoSagh

Re: Star Trek parody: Ensign Sue must die
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 09:56:44 am »
The Mary Sue stuff is always annoying to read, but Ensign Sue seems to have brought annoying to new levels. It was funny though. I really don't see Ensign Sue as a Mary Sue because while annoying and seemingly able to escape her own death many times, she doesn't seem to outsmart Spock or out Captain Kirk that much, except in very broad terms. Most of her stunts seem to exist just to exasperate the crew not to outdo them, which is what keeps it funny and gives the strip it's own sense of charm.

Although very different in nature Mind Sifter and Visit to a weird planet revisited are two of my favorite stories from the two New Voyages books. I was excited to see P2 doing Mind Sifter and I hope that it ultimately gets finished and we get to see it. I would love to see someone be able to produce (currently impossible to do) the two visit to a weird planet stories, I actually think that they could probably be done together but I am not sure how long that would make the story. IF it were possible, I thought of a fun angle that could be used but it could probably only be used by P2, as the various other fan productions lack the specific angle. However it is all a moot point and beside my idea might just make it too "funny" and I think those stories while odd, deserve to be treated like serious Trek episodes.