Star Trek: Phase II

Please login or register.

PENFIELD MUSEUM
THE PENFIELD MUSEUM - 703 Creek Road - Crown Point, NY - (518) 597-3804Home of the "3rd Annual Halloween Haunted Homestead - 2012"

Author Topic: Reboots  (Read 2213 times)

Offline Anthony

Re: Reboots
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 02:11:53 am »
I like the Patrick Stewart rendition of Christmas carol best.  He plays the character as a bitter and angry old man that knows he messed up his life.  The George C. Scott  rendition was great too.

Offline qoSagh

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 08:54:56 pm »
I would argue that A Christmas Carol has never really been rebooted. It has been produced many times, but few if any tried to change the overall concept and use it as a jumping off point for a series of sequels. Even the Klingon versions and the Mr. Magoo version have stayed very close to the original concept. The various versions that have been loosely based on the original have all been stand alone stories too.

As for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, well if it hadn't been for the first version, which was not as faithful to the book as it could have been, we never would have had Pawtucket Pete and the Chumba Wumbas, so it can't be all bad.

Offline HalOfBorg

• HalOfBorg's Link Page
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2013, 07:40:16 am »
I think it was 'Amazing Stories' that did a sequel to A Christmas Carol. It's a year later, and the spirits return. Scrooge becomes SO kind and generous that he spoils everyone rotten, so the ghosts make him a deal. He goes back to being nasty and still gets to work on making his chain smaller.
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

Please check out our newest AMV:
http://www.youtube.com/user/io9wwww

Offline Lost Shuttle 2

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2013, 01:25:33 pm »
As long as books were tossed in the mix..

I enjoyed the first part of the mini series North and South with Patrick Swayza  but then I had not read the book...So when part two came out I did, I found the book one week before the movie would be on I read the *whole* thing in that week, so I knew things...in the book Patrick's character is killed..in the mini series he is not, Why well to keep at least the females coming back of course..

The other mini series I have a complaint with is James Micthums  a  book on the space program... he used names of people who were in the program from the start...at one point he has three men being strained on the moon and no way to bring them home...one of my nephews could not under stand why we could not find a way to get them home how could we leave them there to die.. To say it took a while to get him to under stand WE never left any one on the moon to die that the book the show was about was not true... I watched the credit close after this chat with him and noticed the disclaimer for *Not all facts in the story are true* was at the very end of the credits just before the screen went black, in smaller print... NOW why did they not put it at the beginning of the movie so kids would see it and know ok some thing are not as seen? How many kids saw this and believed we left three men to die on the moon???

I agree with those who have said if you have a story to tell make your own world to do it in why hijack a show of someone else to do it.. I enjoy doing stories of shows I liked but they are kept true to the show not what I would have done had it been my idea.If I want that I do my own world and its then MY idea.

Face it what with BSG TOS, ST;TOS,  Babylon 5, Space 1999, Lost in Space, Flash Gordon, Earth Final Conflict, and Earth Two I think it was called, there's enough space out there for a new space show why hijack to tell a story??  and then use all the fancy toys you want to tell it....Yea I'm working on my own will admit coming up with new names for some things is not fun, but is interesting.

Part of my problem with reboots/makes what every you want to call them is the remade ones always have tech that was not around when the first one was done, Part of my  problem with Enterprise the few shows I did get to see, was the ship always looked to new to fit the time it was suppose to be around... Different time line a cop out if used as a show now then on the show ok,but to do the whole series on that idea?!

JMHO

Offline HalOfBorg

• HalOfBorg's Link Page
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2013, 08:38:25 pm »
The controls on the bridge certainly were more advanced, what with flat screen monitors and such, but the warp engine looked almost crude, same for the transporter (though it worked like a modern unit).

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline eagle219406

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2013, 05:35:37 pm »
I read earlier about many people complaining about reboots that change the genre, turning a drama into a comedy.  I suppose that's a fair complaint, but I can't help but find it funny.  I have seen reboots that have done the opposite, Change a comedy into a drama, and not only did they NOT complain, but they loved it. 

One big example of this is, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer."  The original movie done in 1992 starring Kristi Swanson, was a supernatural, action-packed, comedy.  It was very well received.  Then the TV show, starring Sarah Michelle Gellar came out, rebooting the movie.  The show was a supernatural Action-packed Drama.  It was also a big hit. 

Offline qoSagh

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2013, 12:18:39 am »
Buffy had it's funny moment on TV too, but I agree it was more drama than comedy. I read an interview with Joss Whedon, that said the TV show was closer to what he wanted the movie to be like but there were other forces involved that made it what it was. So this also goes back to the idea that the second one was closer to the original concept than the first.

One of my best examples would be Alien Nation. The movie had an entirely different tone. The character of Sikes was changed in everything but the name. The Aliens for the most part were stripped of their funny names. Most of the political commentary of the movie was removed and then later replaced with an almost opposite political tone later in the series. I really think over all that it lost allot in the transfer, but I think that very often when a movie becomes a TV show, they realize they ran out of material and had to find new stuff to put in.

Offline HalOfBorg

• HalOfBorg's Link Page
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2013, 07:40:38 am »
Like when a comedian gets a sitcom. Cosby was funny until they ran out of his stand-up routine. Then it just got preachy.

Offline qoSagh

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2013, 05:26:08 pm »
Like when a comedian gets a sitcom. Cosby was funny until they ran out of his stand-up routine. Then it just got preachy.

Well Said! The beginning of the first season were mostly dramatizations of his concert film "Himself". After that it seemed to be about what we called in the 1970's & 1980's "Very Special Episodes".

Offline Anthony

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2013, 09:48:17 pm »
Reboot.  I wonder, did Bob ever finally defeat Megabyte?  I know, the series dropped at the end, with no real follow up.   That was REBOOT.

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline eagle219406

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2013, 09:23:17 pm »
But What is the big deal about reboots anyway?  I mean why all the complaints?  If you don't like the reboot, the original will still be there won't it? 

Offline HalOfBorg

• HalOfBorg's Link Page
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2013, 10:55:41 am »
I've said the same thing myself - like the old arguments over colorizing and re-imagining. As long as the original isn't destroyed.....