Star Trek: Phase II

Please login or register.

HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!
Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<< 

Author Topic: Have you seen this...USS Enterprise Bottle Opener  (Read 282 times)

Offline Lost Shuttle 2

Have you seen this...USS Enterprise Bottle Opener
« on: March 12, 2013, 06:53:46 pm »
Now you can open that bottle with the Enterprise
Check out here

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CEM7QM/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B002CEM7QM&linkCode=as2&tag=geek03b-20

Now can someone explain the buy at one price then they have a BUY NEW and it is normally less then the BUY now price. are they both not new?

Offline S'kai

• G & E
  • Crew
  • Commander Prius-class Shuttlecraft Zhang Heng
    • Turn on sound, not to loud
Re: Have you seen this...USS Enterprise Bottle Opener
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 09:27:51 pm »
Seen it. Own one.
S'kai of Vulcan
XO USS Abraham Lincoln NCC-71809
Region 7, STARFLEET International

Offline Mirror

• Half human and half unknown Phase II Catalan site
  • Mirrors
  • PROTECT ALIENS RIGHTS
    • L'HOLOCOBERTA DE STAR TREK
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 05:25:41 am »
Now can someone explain the buy at one price then they have a BUY NEW and it is normally less then the BUY now price. are they both not new?
I can't explain it, sorry. But I've checked and have seen that there are different prices for the NEW ones (from $17.90 to $64.04) while the COLLECTIBLE ones are all of them at the same price ($19.99). The collectibles are "like new", with a note saying "brand new". And there's none USED to sell.

As English is not my main language, I'm lost here. I would have said that "like new" is older than "new", and "brand new" is newer than new (which makes "new" not so new...) . So... how can something like new be brand new? I'm confused :geyes:

Offline MSgtGlennSmith

• In-House 1st Ass't Director "Enemy:Starfleet" 2nd A.D. Writer: STP2 Illustrated
  • Global Moderator
  • Starfleet Captain
  • Born to CREATE!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 12:37:27 pm »
Amazon pricing is controlled by a combination of black magic, voodoo, and the dark side of the force. For example, over a three day period the price for the Dark Knight trilogy on BluRay ranged from $26.95 to $67.05, changing NINE times that I am aware of.
"Solfleet: The Call of Duty" available for the Kindle and Kindle apps at Amazon.com and other Amazon sites around the world!

Offline AlecWest

• Crew
  • Starfleet Member
  • Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 10:34:52 am »

Amazon pricing is controlled by a combination of black magic, voodoo, and the dark side of the force. For example, over a three day period the price for the Dark Knight trilogy on BluRay ranged from $26.95 to $67.05, changing NINE times that I am aware of.

I've been an Amazon customer for many many years - back to when they only sold books.  And lately, they've been doing a lot of "outsourcing" to Amazon Marketplace vendors.  Usually, but not always, the featured vendor on any given page offers the lowest price.  Point is, each featured vendor sets their own price ... and each featured vendor has a small inventory of the item.  So, one day, the featured vendor might offer something for $20 and sell out ... with Amazon shuffling a new vendor into the slot who might charge $30 or $40 for the same item.  In the meantime, as their inventories change, other vendors might offer the product for less or more than the first featured vendor - allowing them to possibly shuffle into the featured vendor slot.  So, a price shown as $20 one day might be $40 the next day, $15 the day after, and $30 the day after that.

Besides that, there's always the "klutz factor" (grin).  Amidst all this vendor juggling, some mistakes have happened and, hehe, I've taken advantage of them (grin).  If they're "fulfilled by Amazon" mistakes, they've never failed to honor their mistaken price.  Their Marketplace vendors are not so generous.  I saw one humongous mistake and jumped on it immediately.  The page said they offered BIC sensitive shavers in 12-count bags (12-packs of these bags - ie., 144 razors) for $7.95 (wide grin).  This was through a Marketplace vendor.

The page was meant to show ONE 12-count bag, not TWELVE 12-count bags.  About a week later, the vendor sent me 3 five-pack bags (15 razors).  I decided to have some fun with the vendor, sending him a PM asking if the other 129 razors were coming under separate cover, hehehe.  If this had been a "fulfilled by Amazon" order, Amazon would have likely sent me the other 129 razors and modified/corrected the page.  But, the vendor told me that it was meant to be one 12-count bag ... and they sent me 15 when they themselves noticed the error - as a benefit to me, the customer (3 extra razors).  To make a long story short, I thanked the vendor for the 15 razors and sent a nastygram to Amazon for maintaining an erroneous page ... something THEY were responsible for, not the vendor.

P.S.  One neat thing for me involves a little math on my part.  "Fulfilled by Amazon" orders will always charge the state sales tax present in the addressee's state.  Marketplace vendors (unless Congress changes existing law) don't have the same requirement.  So, Amazon might charge $30 for an item and a Marketplace vendor might charge $32 - with the Marketplace vendor being ultimately cheaper since they don't charge the tax.  It "pays" to check the total cost of an order (cost+shipping+tax ... or lack of tax) before committing to it.

Regards,
J. Alec West
"When you least expect it, someone may actually listen to what you have to say."
-- Maggie Kuhn, founder of the Gray Panthers

http://p2trek.com - http://farragut.novelhost.net - http://potemkin.novelhost.net
http://Trek-A-Lot.p2trek.com

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline MSgtGlennSmith

• In-House 1st Ass't Director "Enemy:Starfleet" 2nd A.D. Writer: STP2 Illustrated
  • Global Moderator
  • Starfleet Captain
  • Born to CREATE!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 06:19:23 pm »
Thanks, Alec. I figured the reason was something along those lines, probably in combination with some kind of automated supply-demand pricing software.

But it still seems like black magic, voodoo, and the dark side of the force.  :duh:
"Solfleet: The Call of Duty" available for the Kindle and Kindle apps at Amazon.com and other Amazon sites around the world!

Offline Anthony

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 09:43:17 pm »
Went to the link, now I have the ad banner popping up all over.