Star Trek: Phase II

Please login or register.

Author Topic: howdy  (Read 337 times)

Offline ap0state

howdy
« on: March 13, 2013, 08:48:56 pm »
First time here - long time Star Trek fan.

Question - Have you considered doing Kickstarter on a seasonal basis?  It would probably generate more revenue and develop the audience a bit more.

Keep up the great work!  Looking forward to Kitumba :)

Offline barbreader

• 53 Year Old Turtle... keep those teenagers!
    • Star Trek Reviewed
Re: howdy
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 11:32:59 pm »
Welcome to the Phase II boards.  I am just a boardie, and I do not speak for Phase II, but I think I know the answers to your questions.  Phase II, as you probably realize if you've watched their episodes, is far closer to TOS than most fan films... which means that the copyright holder watches them like a hawk.  Kickstarter, therefore, is not an option... CBS and Paramount have spoken.

That said, welcome.  These are GREAT people and they produce a great fan film.  As far as number of viewers, I believe (again, I'm at best a secondary source, somebody who knows more than me will be by later) ... that Phase II has had over 100 million views and downloads.  So I don't think there is an audience problem!

Offline MSgtGlennSmith

• In-House 1st Ass't Director "Enemy:Starfleet" 2nd A.D. Writer: STP2 Illustrated
  • Global Moderator
  • Starfleet Captain
  • Born to CREATE!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 06:21:23 pm »
Welcome, ap0state.
"Solfleet: The Call of Duty" available for the Kindle and Kindle apps at Amazon.com and other Amazon sites around the world!

Offline Dyno

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 12:01:08 am »
Welcome aboard, Ap0state!

Bri

Offline PattyW

• producer, writer, costume designer
  • Starfleet Member
  • Elphie...
    • Walter Koenig's Offical Website
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 03:05:00 pm »
First time here - long time Star Trek fan.

Question - Have you considered doing Kickstarter on a seasonal basis?  It would probably generate more revenue and develop the audience a bit more.

Keep up the great work!  Looking forward to Kitumba :)

Actually, "Kickstarter" is not an option because KS requires the fundraising be done for a "complete project". Even if they would consider "an episode" a "complete project" (which they won't) then Barb is right, CBS would not allow us to collect money "to make an episode".

However, "Indiegogo" allows you to fundraise for a "piece" of a project...which is why we could do it last year. Technically, we COULD do it for every single shoot. "Please pay the electric bill for this shoot" kind of thing, However, given that we are a volunteer effort, I am not sure how realistic it is. I'm still trying to finish up getting the premiums out for the last one we ran in the fall of 2012...

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline Dyno

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 12:29:10 am »
Rewards / perks are a common problem.  I've seen several projects where it's pretty obvious some of the rewards / perks seemed like a good idea during the campaign and then maybe not such a great idea when it came time to deliver.   Ironically, it is especially a problem if you have a lot more success than expected and find yourself trying to figure out how you are going to, for example, deliver 3,000 t-shirts and the short turn-around time you promised.  <g>  You really have to think that stuff out during planning.

Bri