Star Trek: Phase II

Please login or register.

HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!
Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<< 

Author Topic: TNG's "The Best of Both Worlds, " theatrical presentation.  (Read 287 times)

Offline Moeskido

• Assistant to the Assistant to the Assistant.
  • Crew
  • Starfleet Member
  • I'm Mary Sue. And so are you.
    • Moeskido: more verbose crap you don't need to read.
TNG's "The Best of Both Worlds, " theatrical presentation.
« on: April 25, 2013, 10:15:32 pm »
Just got back from a local theater screening of the remastered TNG "Best of Both Worlds." Not bad.

The theater, of course, merely projected a Blu-Ray playback (or its equivalent), which means there was no accommodation made for the fact that this restoration is sharpened for home-tv viewing on much smaller screens. Which made big, hard outlines around almost everything with sufficient contrast.

But apart from that (and the questionable decision to show commercials for the blu-ray editions plus the "making of" featurette before the main program), the color was excellent and the sound mix was very good. The show's followed by new blooper footage discovered during the restoration project, which was quite a treat for the audience, and brought me back to screenings at 1970s conventions and the feeling of having been able to see things that non-fans weren't even aware existed.

Good fun, even if the higher-resolution images allow you to see the original flaws in set construction and makeup!

Offline Saladin_CO

• Starfleet Member
  • Captain Ray Martin
    • Starship Saladin
Re: TNG's "The Best of Both Worlds, " theatrical presentation.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 09:55:40 pm »
Yeah, it was a treat to see on the big screen, and having it all cut into one film was cool.  The only thing that might have made it cooler would have been to somehow include Sisko on the Saratoga in that footage, but I suppose that would really be asking too much.  I like Castillo's line in the blooper reel.  That was funny.  So was the rest of it, but that one was the most hilarious of them. 

I hear they're editing several of the other 2-parters into 'movies' now.  I'm not sure that's really necessary, but certainly would be fun to see that way.  I just don't think I want to buy the blue-ray set and the 'movie' versions of episodes too.  That kinda breaks my bank.

Ken

Ray Martin is the Captain of the U.S.S. Saladin, in the latter half of the 23rd Century. Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/SaladinFacebook Episodes: http://tinyurl.com/SaladinEpisodes "Alternate starship designs are from the Starfleet Technical Manual by Franz Joseph (c) 1975

Offline ZefNo

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 03:19:54 pm »
I hear they're editing several of the other 2-parters into 'movies' now.  I'm not sure that's really necessary, but certainly would be fun to see that way. 

All the two-parters have been edited together and available for some time as one... but on VHS.
I had them all, so this is really nothing new for me. In fact, I get annoyed when the mid-season ones aren't done that way on the DVDs, especially if you have to take out one DVD and put in another to see the second part. It really breaks it up and you lose the atmosphere. It's not like I would ever watch one episode of a two parter on its own, that would be nuts!

Offline Moeskido

• Crew
  • Starfleet Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 03:36:22 pm »
Saladin, Les Moonves wants you to buy everything, in as many forms as his people can release it.

And what would have been the dramatic point of including Sisko's appearance in "Emissary", if you didn't also create new footage of other captains on other ships at Wolf 359? A short series of cameos—in a scene that this two-parter deliberately did not show—just so continuity nerds could feel the attention. There'd be no follow-up, and it'd look like a fan edit.

Zefno, switching DVDs isn't that hard. Really.

I'm not a huge fan of re-editing Trek episodes to fake the appearance of one continuous work, unless it's possibly to add footage that had to be trimmed for broadcast. This rarely happens, because those kinds of cuts were usually made before post-production, and fixing things like sound is rarely in the budget for the home release of a tv series.

I'd rather keep to the rhythm of the original two-parters where possible. All you'd really need to do is delete the "to be continued" title at the end of most Part Ones, especially if the rest of the presentation is keeping Act breaks intact.

Offline ZefNo

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 07:07:04 pm »
I'm not a huge fan of re-editing Trek episodes to fake the appearance of one continuous work, unless it's possibly to add footage that had to be trimmed for broadcast.

I remember the first time I saw All Good Things, it was the original VHS with two separate episodes on. Several scenes from the full-length version were omitted, and not just trivial things either.

And since they're doing a huge amount of work on the new Blu-Ray re-masters anyway, I would think that editing something like Unification (for example) together as one episode would be fairly simple compared to everything else.

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline Moeskido

• Crew
  • Starfleet Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 11:47:35 pm »
I'm decidedly not in favor of cutting anything that was broadcast, simply for the expediency of selling trimmed versions.

M*A*S*H did that with at least one of their season openers, the one that introduces BJ's character. At least two scenes from the hour-long premiere broadcast got hacked to fit the standard half-hour slot. Hope they were restored for the DVD.