Star Trek: Phase II

Please login or register.

Author Topic: Star Trek Continues  (Read 1917 times)

Offline Mirror

• Half human and half unknown Phase II Catalan site
  • Mirrors
  • PROTECT ALIENS RIGHTS
    • L'HOLOCOBERTA DE STAR TREK
Re: Star Trek Continues
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 03:53:12 pm »
And in typical 60s fashion, they shaved his chest.
:hyst:

Offline Aaron-5

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 11:46:15 pm »
Might as well give my reply. I absolutely loved Vic's own take on trek TOS,it was well worth the wait. The scenes,drama and action were all made to a superb job from beginning to end. Vic and the rest did a great job portraying the trek characters in every scene and it was a major surprise to see Mike Forrest play Apollo again. In fact,after hearing forrest's voice in there,I looked over his work and saw that he did some animes that I myself have in my collection(like teknoman and Ninja scroll.)

The ending was a nice happy one for Apollo,Kirk gave him a chance to redeem himself and use his power wisely in the end. Something he couldn't get to do for some of the god like beings in the series like gary Mitchell or Charlie Evans
or even Trelane.

Personally,i'm glad I saw this over Abram's trek anyways,for me the real original trek is where it's at,and James and now Vic have definitely stayed true to that. Now I've got not one but 2 great trek tos web series to look forward to.

Offline Cacher123

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 05:14:32 pm »
Having finally watched STC and after having seen every episode of P2 to date, I can honestly say I WANT MORE STAR TREK!!!. I don't care who makes it. I've even started working my way through the lesser productions out there; Farragut, Voyage Trekkers (comedy - very well done), Potamkin, that weird german one, whatever. If it says ST, I'm all over it. Even the podcasts that I have found have some gold to be mined; Trekcast on iTunes is excellent - 2 fans with a connection to the old Vegas Experience going on about all things Trek and they are not uber nerds either. Good listening.

That being said, and having grown up watching TOS, I will say I am partial to P2 (I'm here aren't I?!). I've been following P2 for a couple years since I found out about it. IMO they are the closest to "real TOS" out there. (James is nutty fanatic about accuracy! - but in a good way!  ;)) This summer I actually got to work on set for a week. James and team are some of the nicest, most dedicated fans, yet professional people you will ever meet. (and did I mention, I was on the friggin Bridge!! THE BRIDGE!!  :hooray: ;D :bigsmile:)

I haven't met the STC crew but I can say this; I was on thier Facebook site and posted a mild criticism about Vic's acting as well as praise for the episode. I was immediately banned from the page. Talk about thin skinned. So I guess if i want to see a bad Shatner imitating,  thin voiced, short, flouncy, over bearing, tin plated dictator with delusions of god-hood, I know where to go! (too much?)

Offline qoSagh

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 05:30:54 pm »
Alright I finally watched this one. Overall I thought it was good but being the nitpicker that we all are, I had a few comments.

As this was their first outing it will take much more to compare and contrast them to other portrayals of these characters. Kirk was good, at first he seemed to be barely skirting a parody but he got better as the episode went on. I found both Chekov & Scotty seemed a bit cartoonish, Spock was oddly effeminate in the beginning but I am not sure if this is a matter of acting or directing. Mckoy and Uhura just didn’t look right for their parts and I thought Uhura’s speaking voice was not right. I liked Sulu, although he is a different portrayal than George Takei’s, which is not good or bad just different.

I am not sure about Dr. McKenna, was she there as a blue colored red shirt? Stunt casting because someone needed a role? I did not like her pushy introduction in the first sick bat scene. Now that I see she is a Troi clone, I like the character less as I never really liked Troi on TNG.

Overall I thought the production quality was good but I noticed a few typos on the subtitles.  I did like the number of different sets they had, but I do hope they do not over use that feature. I would hate for every episode to include a scene in every room, just because it can. To quote Uncle Ben, “With great power comes great responsibility”.

Offline Cacher123

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 05:12:24 pm »
And in typical 60s fashion, they shaved his chest.
:hyst:

Did they? Or is he just unable to grow hair there?  ;D :o

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline Mire_Beast

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 05:39:06 pm »
Visually, it was good..  the music was good..

What let it down for me, was the acting, and the casting..  of all of the characters.

And, have they not heard of continuity ?

Apollo's wig all over the place!  Even though Michael Forrest was good.

Offline barbreader

• 53 Year Old Turtle... keep those teenagers!
    • Star Trek Reviewed
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 06:52:29 pm »
Alright I finally watched this one. Overall I thought it was good but being the nitpicker that we all are, I had a few comments.

As this was their first outing it will take much more to compare and contrast them to other portrayals of these characters. Kirk was good, at first he seemed to be barely skirting a parody but he got better as the episode went on. I found both Chekov & Scotty seemed a bit cartoonish, Spock was oddly effeminate in the beginning but I am not sure if this is a matter of acting or directing. Mckoy and Uhura just didn’t look right for their parts and I thought Uhura’s speaking voice was not right. I liked Sulu, although he is a different portrayal than George Takei’s, which is not good or bad just different.

I am not sure about Dr. McKenna, was she there as a blue colored red shirt? Stunt casting because someone needed a role? I did not like her pushy introduction in the first sick bat scene. Now that I see she is a Troi clone, I like the character less as I never really liked Troi on TNG.

Overall I thought the production quality was good but I noticed a few typos on the subtitles.  I did like the number of different sets they had, but I do hope they do not over use that feature. I would hate for every episode to include a scene in every room, just because it can. To quote Uncle Ben, “With great power comes great responsibility”.

I was told (and I am unsure if the source was reliable) that the woman playing Dr. McKenna is Vic M's girlfriend.

Offline qoSagh

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 02:24:27 pm »
I kind of figured she was someone's girlfriend.

Offline PattyW

• producer, writer, costume designer
  • Starfleet Member
  • Elphie...
    • Walter Koenig's Offical Website
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2013, 08:32:40 pm »

I was told (and I am unsure if the source was reliable) that the woman playing Dr. McKenna is Vic M's girlfriend.

Michelle Specht is Vic Mignogna's wife. It's public knowledge and easily verified.

Offline qoSagh

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2013, 03:20:37 pm »
Not that it matters if he cast his wife or not, but it was pretty obvious that the character was fairly useless and had way too many lines.

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline FGL

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2013, 03:40:19 pm »
I have been off this forum for  more than a year. Still anxiously waiting for KITUMBA! I am so glad I didn't hold my breath.

STC was pretty darn good.

Sorry to hear there are issues between P2 and STC, but competition can be a great thing if its channelled at being better than the other guys.

I agree with the criticism and nitpicking, which is always fun, but we fans can enjoy it along with P2.

Then again, just saying that  on their forum might get me banned on their FB, lol, according to Cacher123.

Offline qoSagh

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2013, 10:13:03 am »
I love nitpicking, but as a form of constructive criticism. I read the nitpickers guide to star trek and thought it was great. It can only serve to improve things as long as it is not mean spirited. It might even help folks see something they didn't cath themselves.

I will be just as likely to nitpick a P2 episode, although I generally can't find much material.