Star Trek: Phase II

Please login or register.

Author Topic: complaints about things you should have been prepared for.  (Read 186 times)

Offline eagle219406

I've noticed a lot of things about people in the world.  Somebody is warned about something which could pose a problem for some.  That person ignores the warning, and then complains when it blows up in their face. 

This is about many of the complaints seen on the internet about shows and movies.   The complaints would be just, if they weren't warned about it ahead of time.  Like you see many times on Youtube.  Somebody makes a trailer for a movie that doesn't exist by splicing together scenes from other movies.  The maker puts in their description or sometimes even their title that it is a "FAKE TRAILER."  Yet when you look in the comments, you still see complaints about how it's FAKE.

Film makers warn the audience about certain aspects of their upcoming projects through interviews and websites.  After the audience views the finished movie or show, they complain about the very things they were warned about. 

A good example of this would be "Star Trek:  Enterprise."  I've heard different complaints about it, but the one I hear most is that the technology was too advanced.   A just complaint, if they weren't warned about it ahead of time.  But before "Enterprise" even premiered, Berman made an official announcement saying that while he did his best not to have too many technological inconsistencies, some were unavoidable because today's technology outdates that  of TOS.  If that was going to be a problem, they could have chosen not to watch it. 

Another example might be "Terminator:  Salvation."  I think a big problem for people was that Arnold wasn't in it.  But people knew way ahead of time that he wasn't going to be.  He was busy being a governor at the time.  If that was going to be a problem, you shouldn't have even gone to go see it. 

Have you noticed other times when this has happened, and what's you imput on it?

Please respond politely.

Offline Lost Shuttle 2

Re: complaints about things you should have been prepared for.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 03:16:38 am »
The technology did not have to be up to date He could have gone back and used just what Kirk had, he had the technology  to do that, but no he had to update why, You do a western you don't put an AK 47 in the cowboys hand to go after the bad guys, you don't give them a 4 wheeled charger to chase them down with , you give them a 6 gun and a horse.

If your going to make a movie of the Wright brothers first flght you do not give them a 747.

His intent was to change Trek the way he thought it should be,his way and throw years of history away,  Changing the Vulcans into what a race that was not what  we had seen in the movies or tv,( Wheres the technology in this change?) THEM telling us whch I never understood why they thought they had the right to tell us how to act in space, but them telling us we could not acept technology from other beings but help the Klingons get the holo programs on thier ships???

We were suppose to have cargo ships flying all over but up to then no ship had been off world to investagte the space around us?

Changing the  name of the first Capt. to fly the Enterprise where was the technology problem in this?

Oh and for the record since I could not get UPN  thanks to a stupid rule the FCC has. I also did not get all the sic fi magazines out there to read what was being said about the show before it came on, so the You were told well I was not.

You enjoyed the show fine.but I did not, but I must say I did like the actors *when* I got a vsh tape from some one to see any of it so out of what 5 years I think I got maybe  2 years of it not conituous years but what would have amounted to 2 yrs.

One thing that came right from Braga I beleive was if fans started saying how much they liked a certain actor he would see that actor was put on the back burner, well  he did that anyways there were times he could have used a few of them more then he did.
Also when  fans said they liked a certain show instead of doing more they would shy away from doing them.

Just so you know I was on an online fan club for them so I know what some fans wanted .

For him to say he could not go back to what Kirk had is not ture,, James has done very well with going back to what Kirk had. and he dose not have a named studio behind him with the money.

I guess I'm just tryed of people who instead of doing thier own thing, redoing someone else work saying it is better and when fans  of a certain age do not like it well there is something wrong with us. Lets remember if a show was a success back then it was US who made it that way, not the guy who figures he can redo it, when nothing was broke.

Offline eagle219406

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 08:36:43 am »
I've noticed a lot of things about people in the world.  Somebody is warned about something which could pose a problem for some.  That person ignores the warning, and then complains when it blows up in their face. 

This is about many of the complaints seen on the internet about shows and movies.   The complaints would be just, if they weren't warned about it ahead of time.  Like you see many times on Youtube.  Somebody makes a trailer for a movie that doesn't exist by splicing together scenes from other movies.  The maker puts in their description or sometimes even their title that it is a "FAKE TRAILER."  Yet when you look in the comments, you still see complaints about how it's FAKE.

Film makers warn the audience about certain aspects of their upcoming projects through interviews and websites.  After the audience views the finished movie or show, they complain about the very things they were warned about. 

A good example of this would be "Star Trek:  Enterprise."  I've heard different complaints about it, but the one I hear most is that the technology was too advanced.   A just complaint, if they weren't warned about it ahead of time.  But before "Enterprise" even premiered, Berman made an official announcement saying that while he did his best not to have too many technological inconsistencies, some were unavoidable because today's technology outdates that  of TOS.  If that was going to be a problem, they could have chosen not to watch it. 

Another example might be "Terminator:  Salvation."  I think a big problem for people was that Arnold wasn't in it.  But people knew way ahead of time that he wasn't going to be.  He was busy being a governor at the time.  If that was going to be a problem, you shouldn't have even gone to go see it. 

Have you noticed other times when this has happened, and what's you imput on it?

Please respond politely.

Westerns are in the past, Star Trek's in the future.  That's the difference.

Offline Cable

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 02:00:35 pm »
The key factor for me has never been the level of technology. It has always been about the story and in the case of Enterprise the shared history of the Star Trek Universe.  I fully understand that they were in a period where there was not much "history" defined but to me if they had attempted to use the shared history (at least the history as discussed in the tv shows and movies) as a baseline they could have come up with interesting stories of discovery and adventure. I would have like to have seen Enterprise encounter races that were part of the original Federation initially such as Andorians, Tellarites, and some of the lesser races only mentioned in TOS. As far as the original discussion it could have been much more interesting to have the beginnings of subspace radio and perhaps require the Enterprise to have only more standard forms of radio and not be able to ask for help initially. They could have introduced subspace radio later but only in audio.

But by far my biggest personal problem is that I really did not enjoy the episode of Enterprise until the last season when Bragga was off the series. To me the scripts seemed not really good. In fact, I was an avid watcher of the final season and if the series had started out like that I would have watched.
In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.
Douglas Adams