Star Trek: Phase II

Please login or register.

Entertainment Earth
Star Trek Collectibles, Action Figures & More!

Author Topic: Star Trek New Voyages: Phase II Episodes being blocked on YouTube!  (Read 428 times)

Offline startrekphase2DE

• Phase II German Mirror, Webmaster, Video editing/conversion
  • Crew
    • Star Trek Phase II, English, French, German and Spanish
This effects videos with the Star Trek theme tune on the YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/startrekphase2DE

Please note that we are currently having a lot of rights issues with our videos. Our YouTube channel has official approval from CBS/Paramount to use the Star Trek universe, etc. in our fan-films provided there is no charge and no profits are made (which we keep to). Although we have been using Star Trek related music with CBS/Paramount's permission for years, IODA (Independent Online Distribution Alliance) has decided we have no rights to use the Star Trek theme tune "Steve "Rabbit" Easter-Banjo Trek" thereby blocking most of our episodes on YouTube. Despite several attempts to point out that we have permission to use this tune, they have now retrospectively blocked more and more of our videos.

While in most countries, this means that our episodes are now shown with advertising, in Germany these episodes are completely blocked.

For this reason, we have now expanded our own website to allow online viewing there. So if you find you cannot watch any of our episodes on YouTube, you can now watch online or download them from www.startrekphase2.de instead.

We have also improved and expanded the ability to post comments on www.startrekphase2.de as well at the bottom of each episode page.

Regards

Peter
Star Trek Phase II German Mirror:
http://www.startrekphase2.de

English, German, French, Spanish
Subtitles also available in additional languages...

Offline startrekphase2DE

• Phase II German Mirror, Webmaster, Video editing/conversion
  • Crew
    • Star Trek Phase II, English, French, German and Spanish
Re: Star Trek New Voyages: Phase II Episodes being blocked on YouTube!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 12:57:35 pm »
The strange thing is, it looks to me as if  "Steve "Rabbit" Easter-Banjo Trek" (from his "Friends" album released in 1996) itself is just his interpretation of the original Star Trek theme tune written by Alexander Courage for Star Trek back in the 60s.
If you listen to Banjo Trek, it is an almost perfect copy of the original tune from the 60s.

What I don't know is what version of the tune has been used by New Voyages: Phase II. If we can show that we used the original theme tune from GNP Crescendo Records released in 1966 for example, that would be legitimate grounds to challenge this ban.

Maybe someone here can investigate this for me.

Regards

Peter
Star Trek Phase II German Mirror:
http://www.startrekphase2.de

English, German, French, Spanish
Subtitles also available in additional languages...

Offline crashpilot

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 12:28:02 pm »
I can't imagine what a frustrating mess this must be behind the scenes.

Didn't the franchise owners re-record the opening theme for the re-mastered episodes? I wonder if they got a letter too..  lol

Offline qoSagh

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 02:58:15 pm »
Unrelated to Trek, I have read that YT has been doing this to allot of people. There was a story about a songwriter who's song was being used by lots of fans to make videos. The songwriter thought this was a cool tribute, until YT sent her a letter telling her that the original had to be taken down because she was misusing the music from the other videos. Apparently she had a long battle with them to prove that she did in fact write the song in question.

Offline Gary Evans

• Administrator
  • Starfleet Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 07:24:31 pm »
Peter,

I and/or Brian (Dyno) will contact James about the music. I am unsure which recorded version we use.

Gary
9 October 2013

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline Dyno

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 08:17:54 pm »
Peter,

I sent an FB PM to James about this including a copy of your message.

Bri