Star Trek: Phase II

Please login or register.

Author Topic: On losing an old friend ...  (Read 551 times)

Offline startrekphase2DE

• Phase II German Mirror, Webmaster, Video editing/conversion
  • Crew
    • Star Trek Phase II, English, French, German and Spanish
Re: On losing an old friend ...
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 11:30:45 am »

English is the language spoken in Great Britain and is what American was based on before you guys screwed around with the language (grin).

Hehehe, I hear you.  Often-times, Americans will say, "He speaks with an English accent."  If I hear someone say that, I'll put on my smarty-pants hat and reply, "No, he speaks English.  We speak English with an American accent."  However, it's debatable as to whether persons in certain other countries speak English with a "worse" accent.  For example, "Strine" (Australian-English), hehe.

Regards,
J. Alec West

It is not just the accent, there are quite a few differences between American and English. With the Phase II subtitles, I make a point of releasing both American and English subtitles. I have been to Australia many times (mainly Sydney area) and the Australians English is much closer to British than American. Not surprising as most of them were sent there as convicts to empty overcrowded British prisons.

Regards

Peter
Star Trek Phase II German Mirror:
http://www.startrekphase2.de

English, German, French, Spanish
Subtitles also available in additional languages...

Online Cable

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 02:02:26 pm »
It is not just the accent, there are quite a few differences between American and English. With the Phase II subtitles, I make a point of releasing both American and English subtitles. I have been to Australia many times (mainly Sydney area) and the Australians English is much closer to British than American. Not surprising as most of them were sent there as convicts to empty overcrowded British prisons.

Actually had a coworker who spoke distinctive British English. He was raised in a Chenni which has a large community of people who have British English as the primary language and Hindi as the second language 
In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.
Douglas Adams

Offline Lost Shuttle 2

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 01:44:19 pm »

As to Obamacare, we in Europe are rather bewildered about all the junk we hear from the Naysayers. I live in Germany which has a system quite similar to Obamacare and it works wonderfully. Everybody has full health insurance and the prices are a percentage of your income. If you earn little, you pay little and if you earn a lot, you pay more but there is a cap on the costs. Nobody is refused health care here, irrespective of previous conditions and nobody goes bankrupt because they were ill - those are all traits of rip-off "capitalist medicine" that take as much money as they can and give you as little cover as they can get away with.

Regards

Peter

As I do not live in your country I have your say on how it works, I do know a lady who works for an insurance company here she went through all the bells and whistles with a family before Obamacare was to be installed. the family after going through all the credits or what ever they are called did not come up to the amount they had to have, they lacked like 2 credits.. they now have to pay more for their health care then they did before.. This helps who?  from what I understood Obamacare was to save you money Not make you spend more to have what you already had. also I understood *WE* would be able to keep our doctors, but yet I am hearing of those who are having to leave a doctor from them not  an email... they have had for yrs and trust to another one who was with  some other insurance company's list. I know about this part as I was two days away from having an operation being done  I was told I could not have it because I was not with a doctor on their list.

And part of my problem with it is the people who are suppose to be working for US signed a bill that NO ONE read they were bullied into signing it and no one read it to know what it said....I would rather see a couple  bills a yr  signed into law and know they were read then 100 and no one knowing what the heck they have signed.

Only time  will tell how it will work out..all I do know  from  talking with the people who have to deal with it..it is not all it has been proclaimed  to be.

Offline AlecWest

• Crew
  • Starfleet Member
  • Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit.
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 08:15:06 am »

Actually had a coworker who spoke distinctive British English. He was raised in a Chenni which has a large community of people who have British English as the primary language and Hindi as the second language

I used to listen to international shortwave radio broadcasts when I was younger.  And when I heard NHK (Nippon Hoso Kyokai, Radio Japan) for the first time, I thought I was listening to the BBC (grin).  The announcers obviously learned English from a British teacher.  And back when I was in the 4th grade, we had a new teacher come to the school from Mississippi.  Not long after her arrival, parents began complaining that their kids were speaking with a Southern accent, hehe.  She kept her job, though.

A lot of "second language" dialects spoken outside of England can be traced back to the teachers - and the students who "parrot" the teachers who taught them.

Regards,
J. Alec West
"When you least expect it, someone may actually listen to what you have to say."
-- Maggie Kuhn, founder of the Gray Panthers

http://p2trek.com - http://farragut.novelhost.net - http://potemkin.novelhost.net
http://Trek-A-Lot.p2trek.com

HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!
Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<