Star Trek: Phase II

Please login or register.

Entertainment Earth
Star Trek Collectibles, Action Figures & More!

Author Topic: Ender's Game  (Read 344 times)

Offline Cable

Ender's Game
« on: November 02, 2013, 07:32:41 pm »
Before I begin I am not going to comment on Orson Scott Card's homophobia or his statements. I am just going to provide my review of the movie Ender's Game.

My Review
Overall 4 out of 5
Acting 4 out of 5
VFX 5 out of 5

Overall a really good movie. For those who have read the novel I think it connected with the major themes of the novel. Asa Butterfield does an excellent job of portraying Ender and his struggles through Battle School and Command School. Even the final reveal was emotional although I have read the novel and knew what was coming. Although I like Harrison Ford, I thought his acting was a little ham handed and while there was nothing that threw me out of the movie his acting did not present the same level of nuance as some of the younger actors.

The other young actors though we very good although I would have really like to have seen more of them and their viewpoint. However, I gave it a 4 out of 5 overall but a 5 out of 5 for adapting a book that for the most part is the internal thoughts of the main character. My only faulting is that I thought there was more there were scenes in the book that would have provided a better explanation of the characters and of Ender. However that movie would have been 4 to 6 hours long and the director Gavin Hood did as good a job as anyone adapting the book into a 2 hour movie.

Overall, I think it was a good movie and kept the major themes of the book.   :)

Fixed typo in title. GLS
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 11:18:50 pm by GSchnitzer »
In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.
Douglas Adams

Offline FGL

Re: Ender's Game
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 12:31:44 pm »
Before I begin I am not going to comment on Orson Scott Card's homophobia or his statements.

So, will we always be making remarks about the political opinions of actors and writers now? Have you set the date of this dissidents execution yet, comrade?

Offline Cable

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 01:35:59 pm »
Before I begin I am not going to comment on Orson Scott Card's homophobia or his statements.

So, will we always be making remarks about the political opinions of actors and writers now? Have you set the date of this dissidents execution yet, comrade?

Actually I wanted to prevent the type of Flame-Wars that I have seen in other places. My intention was to strictly review the movie. That I why I put that statement in first. If you want to start talking about political persuasion or viewpoints please IM me directly.
In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.
Douglas Adams

Offline Cable

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 01:38:39 pm »
Before I begin I am not going to comment on Orson Scott Card's homophobia or his statements. I am just going to provide my review of the movie Ender's Game.
Fixed typo in title. GLS

I apologize to all if some of my views leaked through in the statement above.  It was not my intention to start a flame-war or to interject my viewpoint into this discussion.
Douglas Adams

Offline qoSagh

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 02:03:08 pm »
You don't prevent a flame war by firing such a shot across the bow!

I don't know much about Orson Scott Card's work, I read the first book in his Seventh Son series many years ago and never went past that. At the time I was not into reading series of books. The same thing kept me from finishing the Thomas Covenant series. So while I had probably heard the title Ender's Game, I just didn't pay too much attention, even though I know that Mr. Card has allot of fans. I usually ending up waiting for movies to hit cable to see them anyway.

Then I saw all the hype about Mr. Card's remarks and the way he was vilified in the media, his studio tried to drop him and now I see that he is the subject of a thread on a Star Trek forum. When the first news came out I said I was going to go see this movie, even if it was bad. Mostly because of the way Orson Scott Card was treated. Apparently it is only appropriate to have an opinion if it is the right opinion. In terms of Star Trek, that is not what Jim Kirk stood for. Picard, maybe, but in TOS they actually liked diversity (Remember IDIC?). 

Orson Scott Card did nothing that Sean Penn hasn't done, except that Sean Penn is a darling of the liberal media. For the record, I do not think that the opinions of celebrities carry any more weight than those of the rest of us, but in our country we seem to be craving a class of nobility we got rid of in the revolution. For some reasons celebrities have become that nobility, as long as they tow the line. Orson Scott Card did not tow that line so in the minds of some the First Amendment no longer applies to him. I will go see the movie just to support him, although I know it is more symbolic than anything as the studio gets the first cut and the theater after that. I have no delusions that the author will actually be effected by my attendance.

When I have seen the movie, I will be better able to discuss it's merits or lack thereof., but that was never really what this thread was about.

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline FGL

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 02:08:51 pm »
I didn't start anything.

I liked the books Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow.

I don't have a  lot of interest in the movie at the moment.

I think his views on Purple Kool-Aid are as relevant as any of his other views. We need to make it clear right up front that his views of purple kool-aid shouldn't lead to any flame wars. :p

Offline crashpilot

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 02:59:40 pm »
X2

Offline MSgtGlennSmith

• In-House 1st Ass't Director "Enemy:Starfleet" 2nd A.D. Writer: STP2 Illustrated
  • Global Moderator
  • Starfleet Captain
  • Born to CREATE!
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 04:31:08 pm »
If you all would like to discuss the movie, which is what this thread was started for, please do so and enjoy the discussion.
"Solfleet: The Call of Duty" available for the Kindle and Kindle apps at Amazon.com and other Amazon sites around the world!

HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!
Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<