Star Trek: Phase II

Please login or register.

Author Topic: KITUMBA Thoughts  (Read 1335 times)

Offline bbarru

• Recruit
Re: KITUMBA Thoughts
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 05:14:47 pm »
I laughed so hard when Kirk`s tunic was slashed in the fight.  A very good episode people. Two thumbs way up.

Offline Cacher123

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 05:42:04 pm »
I laughed so hard when Kirk`s tunic was slashed in the fight.  A very good episode people. Two thumbs way up.

Ha Ha! That's funny! When I saw that scene, my first thought was OMG, James just destroyed a tunic!! He must have been really commited to that scene to do that!

I watched it on a HD monitor at work then downloaded it to my 30 pin iPod in HD (stupid Apple and their ligthning connector. None of my AV hookups work anymore!) so I could watch it on my TV with my wife.
She's what I call a "tolerant" scifi fan. She'll attend conventions with me, meet the older actors (many of whom she worked with as a little girl on contract to one of the studios but that's another story) and sit through SciFi movies and TV shows. She'll like some but usually appreciates the acting more than the SciFi elements (But honey, it's a classic....).

Well, she sat through Kitumba and I was ready for the critique at the end..... Special effects - excellent!  Acting - some plusses and minuses; said James made a very convincing lead but needed to articulate more (sorry James!), and I think she may be crushin on Doc John; Makeup - excellent (except for the Kitumba. And I gotta agree, that hair was just distracting and the turtle shell looked a bit off). wardrobe -really top notch. Other than those minor nits, you guys get two thumbs up from us!! She kept saying, "They made this where and on what budget?! Really?"

Of course when we were done she got a whole discourse on STC's crap, the various actors, the problems with getting this episode together, etc.
Then I dragged up everyone's IMDB pages.
Needles to say, she can hardly wait for the next episode!  ::) (and since I actually worked on that one, she's gonna be in for a long night when it premiers!! LOL!)  ;)

Offline Joshua Michael Irwin

• Watch out for the Janeway Factor
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 12:34:53 am »
I really enjoy James' rendition of Kirk. I'm going to miss it.

James after reading your message to the fans, I'm sorry to hear about the things that were said. They were not deserved.

Great work to everyone on this Episode, I look forward to seeing the next one!
7 of 9: We've captured the Saboteur.
Braxton: Who is it?
7 of 9: It's you Captain Braxton

Offline Zepp

• Recruit
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 09:44:26 am »
This is easily one of the best episodes produced by this group. There's just not much to hate about this gripping hour. The 2nd half drags slightly more than the first half of the episode to me because there was much more intrigue about getting to Q'onos that what happens on the planet for the most part. But still it was well written and a very good story all around. It's just not as perfect as say World Enough and Serve. But really saying that it's not as good as those 2 episodes isn't a real insult about this one.  This presented the Klingons in a better light than most of Star Trek ever did in it's cannon shows. And it also did homages to the best of those shows. There are a lot of times when Star Trek has presented Klingons and did it very poorly. This was far from it. Great job all around! Cawley's last episode as Kirk was a solid one.  The details of the Klingon world was amazing, easily one of the best Klingon stories in Trek history.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 09:46:03 am by Zepp »

Offline bonesmccoy

• Recruit
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 09:11:40 pm »
many thanks for the years of dedicated effort to put this story and package on the air/internet.
Easily, this is one of the best produced, best written, and best sets ever seen in all of the ST universe.  For me, you would have to go to the first time you see NX-2000 in ST:TWOK or NCC-1701A itself.
That bridge set is really something to behold.
Congratulations to the engineering and work teams who got those scenes up and running.

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline qoSagh

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 01:57:42 am »
I forgot to reply about this earlier, but after reading about the Elizabethan garb used, I thought back to Klingon Civilians and the only one I could remember was Grilka who wore something similar. Even when Dax wore the Klingon inspired suit in Blood Oath, it had similar elements to this type of clothing. So I guess the style is as close to canon as we will ever get. I think the patterns should be watched carefully, for although we don't know that Klingons don't have the same shapes as Humans, it is somewhat improbably that certain design elements would crop up there. I say this not as a criticism of P2, I have also made similar critiques of Klingon based clubs that name their ships after human mythological or worse real life things.

Offline PattyW

• producer, writer, costume designer
  • Starfleet Member
  • Elphie...
    • Walter Koenig's Offical Website
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 09:52:28 pm »
well clothes...or "costume" (which all our clothes are) emphasize what we WANT our body to look like, not what they actually look like.

The most dramatic example of this is the 1890s....when it became fashionable for women to exercise, particurally tennis. Women's fashions suddenly emphasized - or, in fact - created broad shoulders. Earlier in history breasts were considered dirty and not at all attractive (but only for the purpose they exist for) so the undergarments and clothes of the day squashed them into non-existence so as to not repel men.

So these thoughts did go into the design of the Klingon civilian wear. If you pay attention you will notice the use of leathers, furs, broad shoulders....no attempt to draw attention to the waist or any body element that reduces the size of a man. Kali's costume was far more "Duras Sisters" and pretty outstanding - but Michele's boyfriend made her throw a lace camisole under it to hide her cleavage....which was ridiculous. Seriously, a Klingon warrior wearing lace? Yeah, right. You should have seen it without it! (strangely enough, that costume is missing from the wardrobe room - )

Offline qoSagh

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 05:18:02 pm »
I agree with lace not being all that Klingon, but back in my early days in Klingon fandom, black lace was far to prevalent on female costumes. I never understood it at the time, but it became the norm for quite some time, and I bet can still be found on more than a few costumes.

Offline PattyW

• Starfleet Member
  • Elphie...
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 05:36:06 pm »
well, this lace was to hide the cleavage....which doesn't seem at all Klingon to me either....though the Duras sisters might have just been Klingon prostitutes.

Offline qoSagh

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2014, 03:29:54 pm »
I never fully understood the cleavage with the Duras sisters, seems like leaving a major part of the chest uncovered makes for poor armoring in battle. I'm not complaining about the view, just the practicality.

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline Cable

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2014, 07:22:05 pm »
Actually the way the Duras sisters acted I really think the revealing cleavage was their major weapon. I suspect that klingon males reacted the way human males react.
In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.
Douglas Adams

Offline PattyW

• Starfleet Member
  • Elphie...
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2014, 03:32:16 pm »
I laughed so hard when Kirk`s tunic was slashed in the fight.

James wasn't laughing when I came at him with a razor blade  :groucho: