Star Trek: Phase II

Please login or register.

Author Topic: Premiere of 'The Holiest Thing'  (Read 2463 times)

Offline CaptainsWoman

• Crew
Premiere of 'The Holiest Thing'
« on: February 11, 2014, 11:23:28 am »
Greetings,

http://drafthouse.com/movies/star-trek-the-holiest-thing/kalamazoo
 :claph: :claph: :claph: :claph:
On Thursday, Feb. 13, at 7 p.m., Alamo Drafthouse Kalamazoo will premiere the next episode of STAR TREK: PHASE II, "The Holiest Thing," written by Kalamazoo author/screenwriter Rick Chambers. Joining us as a special guest is PHASE II's own Captain James T. Kirk, accomplished film/TV actor Brian J Gross. Admission is FREE, but you must pick up a ticket at the box office. We're also holding a food drive to benefit Kalamazoo Loaves & Fishes, so please bring a non-perishable food item to donate. Seating is first-come-first-served, so get there early!

Offline scifib5st

• To Boldly Go...
Re: Premiere of 'The Holiest Thing'
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 10:17:41 pm »
Thanks for the info... I am on the "Left Coast"...  but as a fan I am encoruaged about this episode!!!!

Offline Cable

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 04:56:43 pm »
It is a shame they were not talking about the Alamo Drafthouse in DFW or even the franchise in Austin. I would have loved to see this on the big screen nearby
In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.
Douglas Adams

Offline RevBear

• Recruit
    • Wheel of the Year
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 08:47:40 am »
Has the internet release been delayed ?
"Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own."

Offline CaptainsWoman

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 10:29:33 am »
Greetings,

The Holiest Thing should be released on YouTube sometime later today I believe.

Unfortunately  the exact time... I don't know.

Nevertheless, it is worth the wait  :claph:

Cheers

CW

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline akira8

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 11:43:31 am »
From the FB page:

To all our fans...

It is with much regret that we must delay the release of "The Holiest Thing" due to issues beyond our control. As many of you know, we've shown a pre-release version of it at The Alamo Draft House Theater and will be showing the same version this weekend in Boskone.

We are now down to the wire, and due to the inclement weather, our colorist is still without power and unable to complete the rest of the work on the episode. We have passed the point of no return where he simply doesn't have the time to finish his work (even if his power were to be restored right at this moment).

As soon as he can get back up and running, and we have a time frame for the completion of the post production work, we'll let you all know and post a new release date.

Our sincere apologies,
The Star Trek Phase II Team

Offline startrekphase2DE

• Phase II German Mirror, Webmaster, Video editing/conversion
  • Crew
    • Star Trek Phase II, English, French, German and Spanish
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 04:57:13 pm »
Yes, the release has been delayed for good reasons. They wanted to keep the Feb. 14 deadline, but the episode was simply not ready enough. There were problems with the colour matching and the audio was not good enough. They decided it would be better to fix these issues rather than release an episode that was technically not up to the usual standard.

I worked very hard preparing the episode for release, but I do understand the reasons for doing it. The episode will look and sound better once they have fixed these issues.

Regards

Peter
Star Trek Phase II German Mirror:
http://www.startrekphase2.de

English, German, French, Spanish
Subtitles also available in additional languages...

Offline AlecWest

• Crew
  • Starfleet Member
  • Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit.
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 05:07:45 pm »
Due to the extreme weather on the Eastern seaboard, a delay in the episode's release is understandable.  And fans should take that kind of delay in stride.

But as a mirror operator, I'm left with a question.  Note that all "time" references made below are in Pacific Standard Time.

At 6:30am yesterday, Peter Walker received the so-called "final" episode master file.  And after it was uploaded to his server, he made that master file available to other mirrors at 1:40pm yesterday.  I downloaded the file and began my transcodes of it into other formats.  I'm certain other mirror operators did the same.

At 8:08am today, a message was sent to all mirror operators that the episode release had been put "on hold" due to post-production work (including color corrections & credits corrections) being incomplete.  So, at that point, I heaved a deep sigh - deleting the incomplete master file and other files transcoded from it.  And, I was just thankful I'd not wasted any time or bandwidth uploading the incomplete episode files.

The question I'm left with?  Did project people know the episode was incomplete before or after it was released to mirror operators?  If before, the release was mean-spirited ... knowing mirror operators would have to duplicate their work at a later date.  I'd like to think that they didn't know it was incomplete until "after" it was released to mirror operators.  But even if that's true, the situation reminds me of a quotation from "Cool Hand Luke," a 1967 film:

"What we've got here is (a) failure to communicate."

Intra-project communication is a skill P2 honchos need to work on in the future - big time.

P.S.  This is not the first time mirror operators have had to go through this scenario.  I look forward to the day (if it ever comes) when it never happens again.

Regards,
J. Alec West
"When you least expect it, someone may actually listen to what you have to say."
-- Maggie Kuhn, founder of the Gray Panthers

http://p2trek.com - http://farragut.novelhost.net - http://potemkin.novelhost.net
http://Trek-A-Lot.p2trek.com

Offline akira8

• Recruit
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 05:23:08 pm »
If I had known this earlier I would have made the four hour drive to Michigan yesterday to see the theater showing. Im guessing we still aren't too far behind if its just color correction and credit errors?  ???

Offline AlecWest

• Crew
  • Starfleet Member
  • Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit.
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 05:52:01 pm »

If I had known this earlier I would have made the four hour drive to Michigan yesterday to see the theater showing. Im guessing we still aren't too far behind if its just color correction and credit errors?  ???

Prior to any release, there should be a "checklist" to go over.  And if the project's person in charge of color correction hadn't yet responded that his/her work was complete, it should have been a no-brainer to consider the episode "incomplete."  The same is true for credits corrections.  Obviously, no checklist was used and no communication reached the project before the episode was released to mirrors.  In short, no checklist was acted on until "after" it was released to mirrors.  Kinda like a Formula 1 race-car driver speeding back onto the track before making sure his pit-crew had completed their tire changes.

P.S.  Keep in mind that the "Kitumba" episode currently available on mirror sites is an "incomplete" episode.  Mirror operators are still waiting for credits corrections on that.  Sadly, that means mirror operators will have to "re-do everything" (transcodes, uploads) when the credits corrections are finally complete.  The only saving grace is that "The Holiest Thing" episode was officially pulled "before" mirror release ... to do the fixes necessary to make it "complete."  That, at least, saved mirror operators from the majority of duplicated efforts.

The thing that really grates on me is that I host mirrors for other Trek-related fanfilm projects.  And so far, only one project has released episodes to me that require, at a later date, a "do-over" of all efforts expended.  Guess which project I'm talking about.

Regards,
J. Alec West
"When you least expect it, someone may actually listen to what you have to say."
-- Maggie Kuhn, founder of the Gray Panthers

http://p2trek.com - http://farragut.novelhost.net - http://potemkin.novelhost.net
http://Trek-A-Lot.p2trek.com

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline PattyW

• producer, writer, costume designer
  • Starfleet Member
  • Elphie...
    • Walter Koenig's Offical Website
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 10:09:26 pm »
I suspect the "credit errors" were not discovered until the episode was shared with the cast and crew on their private FB page...and crew contacted James with the errors. At every shoot the cast and crew now fill out a "credit request sheet" so the production knows a) what they did and b) how they want their name to be written so this kind of thing stops happening. I have no idea who collected them for HT and who checked the credits before they were sent to DD though. I still have the BAS ones (as well as the MS ones which are trash now). They are being sent to Greg, they only person who cared that they existed.

As for corrected credits for "Kitumba"s director and co-exec producers (whose credits are required to be on seperate cards), I wouldn't hold my breath. Adding the cards would probably require new music to be done, as it would lengthen both the opening and closing credits...and, well, we're still waiting for corrected credits for "Enemy: Starfleet". THOSE errors were far more egregious...with entire credit cards being missed, and therefore important people like the Senior PAs not getting ANY credit on the episode. In short, P2 pretty much shrugs off credit errors once the episode has a wide release. Frankly, it could go on forever if complaints were fielded forever....people noticing them years later that there was a problem. (which, again, is why we came up with teh request sheet - which blatantly says if you don't fill this out you can't complain.)

Offline evil_genius_180

• Evil Starship Factory
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 10:09:28 pm »
Has the internet release been delayed ?

Yes.  Didn't you see the notification on the website or the forum?  (note: extreme sarcasm, as there was no announcement here, only on social media)