Star Trek: Phase II

Please login or register.

HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!
Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<< 

Author Topic: Boskone convention report for Star Trek: Phase II - February 14-16, 2014  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Hama42

• Recruit
In Attendance:
Rob Mauro
Dennis Hotston
Marybeth Ritkouski
Jaime Sanchez (Fez)
Gwen Wilkins
Sue Herzberg
John Mulhern

**CAUTION**   "The Holiest Thing" spoiler below (after marked break)

The STP2 presentation at Boskone went exceedingly well. We were very well received and many people were happy to see us back on the Boskone program for a second year in a row.

The weekend started on Friday at 4:00pm in the afternoon with the setting up of the fan table. We were given a prime location, right in front of the con suite/art show/dealers room, which is a highly trafficked area. Interestingly enough, we were right next to the Loncon Worldcon table, which was pretty cool for us, as we had made up Hugo nomination flyers for “Kitumba” in the hopes that folks would nominate our hard work for this prestigious award in the category of “Dramatic Presentation-short form”. We put out our screening schedules and flyers and hung up posters from various episodes. Rob made up a ton of colored 8.5x11 posters to hand out and many folks went home with a colorful souvenir.

Several folks stopped by to chat with us, including Steve Davidson from Amazing Stories, an online magazine with 45,000 unique readers.(www.AmazingStoriesMag.com) He enthusiastically invited us to submit news, updates, press releases and happenings on a frequency of our choosing (weekly, monthly, bi-monthly or occasionally) to inform his readers about Star Trek: Phase II. This seems like a great way to help spread the word about STP2. One idea that was suggested was to write a daily blog during the June shoot, as this is something unique. Fez said that he would follow-up with this.

At about 9:30pm on Friday, we started gathering our stuff and headed up to the Carleton room for our first screening of “Kitumba”. It was a bit on the late side at 10pm when we started, but we had a fairly good showing of 33 people. Everyone enjoyed the episode and then we screened “Going Boldly”. We received a big round of applause at the conclusion of the screening. We opened up the floor for questions and fielded a number of them for the next 15-20 minutes.

We set up the fan table on Saturday morning at around 10:00am. Many folks stopped by to chat or to inquire as to who we were. Many had heard of us and a lot of folks were excited that we were screening our new episode at the convention. Some folks had not heard of us, but were huge Star Trek fans and promised to check us out online. The day flew by as we chatted with folks, including a businessman who advocated the advantages of using Twitter over Facebook as a better method of gaining followers. We chatted with Larry Dunne from Tyromagtv, a YouTube magazine based in Melrose, MA who generously invited us to submit material to help spread the word to his followers. ([email protected]) At around 6:40pm, after we all had a good dinner at one of the local eateries, we headed back upstairs to the Carleton room for a full night, as we were scheduled to show episodes from 7:00pm – 11:00pm.

About 45 folks walked through the doors as we handed out the STP2 contact information sheet and the Kitumba Hugo nomination flyers. We had expected more folks, but the attendance was probably affected by the continuing snowstorm that evening.

------------------ SPOILER BELOW --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During “The Holiest Thing”, there was a big cheer when the Ferengi were revealed and an audience member - mature enough to have been a first-generation Trekker - piped up that “this guy (Brian) was a better Kirk than Shatner”. We received a huge round of applause at the conclusion of the episode. We opened up our Q&A panel by introducing ourselves and what our roles were on STP2. We then opened up the floor for questions. Questions included things like “How do prequel storylines like introducing the Ferengi affect our storylines and continuity”, as well as a comment about combining elements from both the movie sets and TV series sets into our set designs.

------------------ SPOILER END --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We responded by discussing the importance of attention to detail and the purposeful effort to match the look and feel of The Original Series with our sets, costumes, make-up and special effects as well as how we bridge the time-span between the conclusion of the 3rd year of ST:TOS and the Motion Picture with the introduction of characters, set designs and ship modifications. We also touched upon how our Senior Executive Producer, James Cawley, worked with William Ware Theiss in the costuming Department on Star Trek: The Next Generation and how this influenced and contributed to Star Trek New Voyages: Phase II. We asked the audiences what their preference was in regards to the first season color vs. the 3rd season gray lighting, to which they indicated a strong preference to the first season color. We also relayed a funny story about the shuttle chairs while filming “The Holiest Thing”. One of the audience members asked about the actors’ chemistry, and not only did we say how wonderful the chemistry of both the cast and the crew is, but we also *showed* them how strong the chemistry is by screening the funny clip of Brian, Brandon and Doc Kelley in character from “Bread and Savagery” eating donuts in the Ticonderoga Dunkin Donuts. The audience loved the parody and thought it was really funny!

We continued the evening with the screening of “World Enough and Time”, which was well received by the remaining audience, as some had left to attend the conventions main evening program at 9pm. (There were about 22 folks who stayed). After WEAT, we screened “No Win Scenario”, fielded a couple more questions and closed up the room.

On Sunday, we opened up the fan table at 10am and more folks stopped by, including Melinda Snodgrass. It was a thrill meeting one of the writers from ST:TNG and she was rather enthusiastic of our work on STP2. We asked her if she would consider writing an episode for us, and she responded by saying that she was good friends with David Gerrold and would contact him if she elected to write an episode for us. It was a great treat for us to meet her!

At lunch, we discussed plans for the STP2 convention, including ideas for tours of the sets, workshops in costuming, makeup and technical aspects of filming STP2, as well as making an official blooper reel to show at future conventions, and the cooperation of the City of Ticonderoga in this convention.

Overall, Boskone 2014 was a great success and we were very well received. We even received $34.00 in donations for the June shoot from our enthusiastic fans!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 12:59:31 pm by Hama42 »

Offline Hama42

• Recruit
Re: Boskone convention report for Star Trek: Phase II - February 14-16, 2014
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 08:16:34 pm »
I just wanted people to know - the above report was written by m'lady Sue Herzberg. She wouldn't want me to say this, as she prefers to do MUCH work and take LITTLE credit, but she worked very hard helping to make this convention appearance the great success it was; and her enthusiasm for this mad, marvelous project shows through in her report here!  :hooray: We're always amazed at the energy and creativity that our Phase II family shows, and that was all on brilliant, upbeat, fun display from all seven of us in attendance (well, not me - I mainly ate my weight in free chocolate from the LonCon table and drove up the Neilsens for Fez-TV).  ;)  -John

Offline Dyno

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 11:32:44 pm »
Thanks to Sue for writing the report and thanks to John for posting it here!

Thanks to everyone who helped out at the conventions!

Sounds like it was a great time.

Brian Covault

Offline pastorsteve

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 01:08:23 am »
Good review, but you might want to put a spoiler alert in there.

Steve Hills

Offline kenlee

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 10:17:36 am »
It was plainly stated in an early episode of "Next Generation" that no one in the Federation had ever seen a Ferengi, so much for continuity.

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline PattyW

• producer, writer, costume designer
  • Starfleet Member
  • Elphie...
    • Walter Koenig's Offical Website
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 12:55:27 pm »
No one saw one in HT either....except the audience.

Great report Sue! So happy to help make this happen! You rock!

Offline Hama42

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 01:13:30 pm »
Thanks Patty! We missed you! And unfortunately *you* missed the great reaction & applause that "Kitumba" drew from the audience - wish you could've seen it!  :hooray:

I've added a spoiler alert to Sue's above report - SO sorry I missed that initially! -John

Offline Mr Spock

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 02:33:16 pm »
Well, I didn't consider it so much a spoiler as I did a teaser!!   :bigsmile:

Offline scifib5st

• To Boldly Go...
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 02:54:22 pm »
Thanks for the great report.  And tanks for the spoiler alert... it helps up who must wait.  The STP2 con sounds like a great idea.  Too bad the filming and the con cant go on at the same time.  Maybe an episode will be written where you need a croud of 100 extras ( not all in uniforms ).  The "Blooper" reel is a great idea, you could copy a few out takes from the original just for laughts.
 :Hug2: :Hug2:

Offline eagle219406

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 04:38:13 pm »
It was plainly stated in an early episode of "Next Generation" that no one in the Federation had ever seen a Ferengi, so much for continuity.

You obviously did not accept the explanations seen in ENT.  They saw them before that, but didn't know what species they were until TNG.  I don't know why that was such a hard thing to accept. 

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline qoSagh

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 03:18:54 am »
And while not exactly canon, they had a major role in The Modala Imperative, that dealt with both the TOS & TNG crews.

Offline Hama42

• Recruit
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 12:27:34 pm »
I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for those to whom I unintentionally revealed a spoiler for the latest Star Trek Phase II episode “The Holiest Thing” in the first version of the above report.  :'( The convention report was designed for perusal by the cast and crew of Phase II and was not written specifically for posting on the Phase II forum. The suggestion to place the convention report on the forum was a great idea, so that our experience at Boskone could be shared by all, however; I did not think of the spoiler that the report contained, and for that, I offer my sincerest apologies. I am a STAUNCH believer in not revealing spoilers and maintaining the drama of the program for the viewer to discover by themselves as intended by the writers/directors, but I was focusing on the fact that the report was designed for the cast and crew, who already knew the full plot, and would not be affected by spoilers. Again, PLEASE accept my sincerest apologies - I promise I will be much more careful in writing future convention reports.

Sincerely,
Sue Herzberg,
Senior Production Assistant
Star Trek Phase II

HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<