Star Trek: Phase II

Please login or register.

HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!
Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<< 

Author Topic: William Shatner's Memories  (Read 3702 times)

Offline warp_10

William Shatner's Memories
« on: October 11, 2007, 06:06:43 pm »
Ok, so, I finally got a chance to read William Shatner's books "Star Trek Memories" and "Star Trek Movie Memories" (something I'd been meaning to do for ages but just now had the opportunity to do). I loved them! Some great Trek lore and behind the scenes moments that, as a fan, I found very intriguing. Everything from personal reflection and stories, to entire cast and crew memories, to some background on the Great Bird himself, Gene Roddenberry.

Anyone else read these books and care to share your thoughts/opinions?

=/\= James

Offline mick

• Crew
  • Recruit
    • U.S.S. Yorktown RPG
Re: William Shatner's Memories
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 06:13:14 pm »
I checked them out from the library several years ago, and bought them from the used bookstore since.  I found them to be very insightful as a fan, and they to me showed what it took to make Star Trek what it is.  There were a couple facts that were wrong that Nichelle corrected in her book specifically about the kiss.  Eventually I will read them again.
J: You do know Elvis is dead, right?
K: Elvis ain't dead, he just went home.

Offline Sikileia

• Crew
  • Starfleet Member
  • "Blood & Fire" and "E:S" Continuity Supervisor
    • Pro Script/ Continuity Supervisor
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 08:16:33 pm »
I read just the "ST: Movie memories" and I enjoyed a lot knowing a lot of behind-the-scenes "gossips" of the Classic Trek films  :).

Shatner wrote that book with an enjoyable good spirit....After reading it, I loved too his way of joking with those film titles, for example ST: The Final Frontier is The Frantic Frontier... LOL

One of the most significative pieces of that book it's when Shatner explains his emotional feelings preparing the Kirk's fictional death and acting in "Generations", it's really a good filmmaking (and Trek History) document. In his lines, he tell you this with a bit of nostalgia and sadness... even you feel this because you're seeing in these lines the Kirk's end like a character in the 'official' ST universe.

Offline Forsythe-1

• Slainte Mhath
  • Slainte Mhath
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 08:25:08 pm »
I read both, and  they're actually quite interesting. The fact that he was willing to at least attempt to deal with the friction he caused inadvertently or not, lent it some credibility. I was interested in his directing ST:V, and the problems he encountered, (like the budget constraints, FX problems, etc....) to his dream of Sean Connery being cast as Sybok (  Shakaree is a variation of his name. ) Fun read for a fan.
"I think this is gonna be a terrific movie. And I think if they just put away any prejudice and not worry about canon they'll have a good time. You know, nothing is carved into stone. Star Trek isn't based on historical facts." Walter Koenig

Offline warp_10

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 08:46:54 pm »
I read both, and  they're actually quite interesting. The fact that he was willing to at least attempt to deal with the friction he caused inadvertently or not, lent it some credibility.

Yes, I do enjoy the fact that he let us in on Nichelle and the others' conspiracy to use the book interviews to confront him with that.

Nichelle: "Wait Bill, now let me tell you why I hate you"
Bill: *gulp*

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline Forsythe-1

• Slainte Mhath
  • Slainte Mhath
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 10:36:39 pm »
I read both, and  they're actually quite interesting. The fact that he was willing to at least attempt to deal with the friction he caused inadvertently or not, lent it some credibility.

Yes, I do enjoy the fact that he let us in on Nichelle and the others' conspiracy to use the book interviews to confront him with that.

Nichelle: "Wait Bill, now let me tell you why I hate you"
Bill: *gulp*
Nichelle Nichols was quite graceful in her handling of things. Despite her frustrations with Mr. Shatner, she had  kind words to say about him as a director handling the actors in ST:V. Plus, he got his at the Friar's Club roast!  :lol: That show was just brutal!
"I think this is gonna be a terrific movie. And I think if they just put away any prejudice and not worry about canon they'll have a good time. You know, nothing is carved into stone. Star Trek isn't based on historical facts." Walter Koenig

Offline warp_10

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 10:47:31 pm »

Nichelle Nichols was quite graceful in her handling of things. Despite her frustrations with Mr. Shatner, she had  kind words to say about him as a director handling the actors in ST:V. Plus, he got his at the Friar's Club roast!  :lol: That show was just brutal!

Haha, oh yeah, that was a brutal show. I remember watching that thing on Comedy Central at about 1am, completely uncut. wish i would've taped it!

=/\= James

Offline Forsythe-1

• Slainte Mhath
  • Slainte Mhath
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 10:58:17 pm »
Betty White...wow. Does she kiss with that mouth?  :eek:
Back to topic...I can't recall, were those books credited to Shatner, or were they "assisted" by ghost writers?

Offline jadeanderson

• Trekkie since 1969
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 04:51:44 am »
I bought the audio book versions, which are read by Shatner and run about 5 hours each.  The are billed as being by 'William Shatner with Chris Kreski."  I love listening to both of them.  He talks more about Final Frontier than the other films and blames everyone except himself for what went wrong with it.  His third Star Trek biography was Get a Life, which is about the conventions.  The audio version of that runs 3 hours, so it's probably abridged.

I enjoy all of his audio books.  Before performing his Star Trek Shatnerverse books, he read a couple of the Tek novels, and before that he read The Psychohistorians from the first Foundation book and the story Mimsy Were the Borogoves.  He's always had a great voice.  More rare are the five episodes of the radio show Zero Hour he guest starred on in the 70s and his 1978 double LP live album Captain of the Starship.  For that he spent the first LP doing dramatic performances for the audience and the second fielding audience questions about Star Trek, including the then-upcoming movie.

All great stuff. 

Offline Lab Mouse

• Lab Mouse
  • Global Moderator
  • Starfleet Captain
  • ...Are YOU of THE NARF?????
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 10:20:43 am »

Haha, oh yeah, that was a brutal show. I remember watching that thing on Comedy Central at about 1am, completely uncut. wish i would've taped it!

=/\= James

That special was beyone brutal. It was both shamless and pedantic and unworthy.
NARF

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline warp_10

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 12:34:54 pm »
I bought the audio book versions, which are read by Shatner and run about 5 hours each.  The are billed as being by 'William Shatner with Chris Kreski."  I love listening to both of them.  He talks more about Final Frontier than the other films and blames everyone except himself for what went wrong with it.  His third Star Trek biography was Get a Life, which is about the conventions.  The audio version of that runs 3 hours, so it's probably abridged.

Yeah, I have the audiobooks of the two Trek Memories books as well (got them at a garage sale, believe it or not) and they are slightly abridged, but not very much. If you match the book up with the tapes, a few lines or a few words here and there are left out, but in general they seem pretty complete. As for the audiobooks themselves, I enjoy listening to them as well.

=/\= James

Offline Sikileia

• Crew
  • Starfleet Member
  • "Blood & Fire" and "E:S" Continuity Supervisor
    • Pro Script/ Continuity Supervisor
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 07:35:03 pm »
His third Star Trek biography was Get a Life, which is about the conventions.  The audio version of that runs 3 hours, so it's probably abridged.
I read somewhere that to co-write his book, William Shatner attended to the conventions disguissed with an alien mask hiding his face :alien:. The funniest stuff is that nobody seemed to realise that they had a Trek star in front of them... ;D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 07:36:38 pm by Sikileia »