Star Trek: Phase II

Please login or register.

Author Topic: #24 Prop: Jeppesen (Warner) Model B-1 Slide Graphic Vector Computer  (Read 8391 times)

Offline GSchnitzer

• Co-Executive Producer
  • Administrator
  • Starfleet Member
    • Gregory L. Schnitzer at IMDB
Folks may remember back in October of last year in the thread titled "#5 Prop: Spock's 'CSG-1 Flight Computer'" that I discussed a small, handheld computational device used by pilots that surfaced as a prop in a few Star Trek episodes:

Well, there was a different but yet remarkably similar device that was also used in a few other episodes that I wanted to discuss in this post.

We see a different "flight computer" in a few episodes. Specifically, we see a Model B-1 Slide Graphic Vector Computer lying on the table top near navigator Dave Bailey in "The Corbomite Maneuver."

Like the CSG-1, this Model B-1 was made by Jeppesen & Company in Denver, Colorado. The Model B-1 Vector Computer was originally made by Warner Instruments in Chicago, Illinois in 1962, but Jeppsen bought the rights to the device and started making their own "Jeppesen Improved Model B-1 Computer"--which is what we see on Star Trek.  We also see some unnamed Engineering-division crewwoman carrying one in the corridor in the same episode ('way over at screen left):

It also shows up a third time in this episode when a Command-division ensign carries one on the bridge:

We get a pretty good look at this device in "Mudd's Women" when Mister Spock uses it to make some computations:

But probably the best look we get at this thing is in "Who Mourns for Adonais:"

...and a blow up of the same view:

(You can see the big "J" in Jeppesen's old corporate logo 'way down at the bottom of the device.)

The Jeppesen Model B-1 Slide Graphic Vector Computer is much rarer than a CSG-1. These things seldom show up on ebay. They are about twice the size of a CSG-1.

As was mentioned in the earlier CSG-1 post, both Gene Roddenberry and Matt Jefferies were accomplished pilots, so it's very likely this prop was actually one of their very own personal navigation piloting tools.

What made the Model B-1 Slide Graphic Vector Computer nice as a prop--probably nicer than the CSG-1--was its larger size; also, it had a bright yellow ring--perfect for color televisions in 1966. The Model B-1 also has a red and black wind vector arm "spinner" on one side that adds a splash of color (although this "spinner" is really only barely visible in that one shot from "Mudd's Women").

Here are some shots of my vintage Jeppesen Model B-1 Slide Graphic Vector Computer.

Here's a shot of the front (the "Vector Computer Side") with the Vector Card completely removed from the Circular Slide Rule "wheel" portion.

And here's a shot of the Circular Slide Rule and the reverse side of the Vector Card in their disassembled states:

Here's a shot of the Vector Card sliding through the Circular Slide Rule "wheel," just as it does in "Who Mourns for Adonais:"

And here's a shot of the Vector Card inserted into the Circular Slide Rule "wheel" in an "flipped" (backwards) position--just as was accidentally done in "Mudd's Women:"

Lastly, here's a shot that compares a larger "Navigator" size Jeppesen CSG-2 with a much harder to find Model B-1 and a somewhat hard to find smaller "Pocket" size CSG-1:

Anyway, between the B-1 and the CSG-1 and the push-button "Vulcan Calculator" prop, Mister Spock and the other Enterprise crewmembers have plenty of handheld doodads with which to keep themselves occupied as they go about their important Starfleet computational tasks.

Slide show is at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10901121@N06/sets/72157601585422654/show/

Greg Schnitzer
Gaithersburg, Maryland
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 05:49:51 pm by GSchnitzer »

Gregory L. Schnitzer, RN

Offline gel61

Re: #24 Prop: Jeppesen Model B-1 Slide Graphic Computer
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 07:03:35 pm »
Greg.
Thank you for enlightening me,regarding the instrument that Spock using.
I've always wondered what that device was.
In the second picture,what is Scotty holding?
In the third picture, the guy inbetween the crewman and Kirk,looks to me wearing some kind of...how can I describe it,some kind of waistcoat?
I have something similar for work.
Being an electrician,it's useful for keeping screwdrivers,plyers,etc.

Offline gel61

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 07:06:35 pm »
p.s Greg, why did Uhura wear the yellow costume in that episode?
                          Thanks, gel61.

Offline GSchnitzer

• Co-Executive Producer
  • Administrator
  • Starfleet Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 07:58:07 pm »
Greg.
In the third picture, the guy inbetween the crewman and Kirk,looks to me wearing some kind of...how can I describe it,some kind of waistcoat?
I have something similar for work.
Being an electrician,it's useful for keeping screwdrivers,plyers,etc.

1. Forty-two years later and still no one knows what the round device Mr. Scott has in the briefing room in the "Corbomite Maneuver."

2. I'm not sure what the thing is the guy is actually wearing in that scene.  Of course, the best look we actually get at this funny rubberized vest with pockets thing is in "The Man Trap" when they toss in some kind of fireproof hood and gloves to go with it (although I'm not sure if that really goes with part of the suit in real life):

If you look carefully at the numbers painted on the costume, you can see that it would appear to be the same actual costume in both episodes.

3. As for Nichelle Nichols wearing an avocado-colored uniform, she wore the avocado uniform in her first two episodes: "The Corbomite Maneuver" and "Mudd's Women" and her uniform had the "Science" division patch:

All the bridge crew wore avacado since they were commanding the vesseel.  (Well, the Executive Officer who was also the Science Officer chose to wear the blue assoicated with his Science Position.)  It was later decided that communications should wear red instead of gold.  Why?  Well, it might have to do with Starfleet's sector reorganization at UESPA headquarters and restructuring of the engineering and support services division in the year 2266 or some other yadda yadda yadda reason.  But I suspect it was just that Nichelle looks really freakin' hot in red.

Greg Schnitzer
Gaithersburg, Maryland

Gregory L. Schnitzer, RN

Offline RobertMfromLI

• Life down here is just a strange illusion... (Iron Maiden) ──────────────────────
  • Administrator
  • Starfleet Captain
  • "Door!" ──────────────────────
    • "My" Space - Come Visit It!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 08:10:03 pm »
Greg.

1. Forty-two years later and still no one knows what the round device Mr. Scott has in the briefing room in the "Corbomite Maneuver."

I used to use one of those in high school. Think back folks... if you were in school 20+ years ago, you probably used one as well (probably not the exact model and brand, but the same device nonetheless).

-Robert
Iron Maiden

More pain and misery in the history of mankind...
Sometimes it seems more like the blind leading the blind...

Tell me why...
Please tell me why...

www.RobertMauro.com

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline RobertMfromLI

• Life down here is just a strange illusion... (Iron Maiden) ──────────────────────
  • Administrator
  • Starfleet Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 08:12:41 pm »
2. I'm not sure what the thing is the guy is actually wearing in that scene.  Of course, the best look we actually get at this funny rubberized vest with pockets thing is in "The Man Trap" when they toss in some kind of fireproof hood and gloves to go with it (although I'm not sure if that really goes with part of the suit in real life):

If you look carefully at the numbers painted on the costume, you can see that it would appear to be the same actual costume in both episodes.

A riot jacket, with the pockets (front and back) to hold ballistic  proof material (presumably metal plates considering the era)?
Iron Maiden

Tell me why...
Please tell me why...

www.RobertMauro.com

Offline RobertMfromLI

• Administrator
  • Starfleet Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 08:20:38 pm »
Of course, that's a guess... but it might be like one of the ones here, inside out with numbers on it...

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_body_armor_korea.php
Iron Maiden

Tell me why...
Please tell me why...

www.RobertMauro.com

Offline GSchnitzer

• Co-Executive Producer
  • Administrator
  • Starfleet Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 09:51:32 pm »
Of course, that's a guess... but it might be like one of the ones here, inside out with numbers on it...

I think what we see in the background in "The Corbomite Maneuver" (and in "The Man Trap" and in "Where No Man...") is an "Arc Flash Suit" to keep electricians from being electrocuted.  Certainly the designs have become more colorful and modern and less utilitarian over the past forty years, but here are some current designs:

http://www.boddingtons-electrical.com/arc_protective_equipment/arc_protective_wear.html

These "Arc Flash Suits" come with vests worn under the main garment for which you purchase cooling packs that get inserted into a number of pockets in the vest to keep the user cool.  Modern styles have Velcro closures on the vest; older styles probably have snaps as we see in the episodes.  (You can see the cooling pack vests farther down the above web page.) 

Greg Schnitzer
Gaithersburg, Maryland

Gregory L. Schnitzer, RN

Offline Jami!

• G/E & Phase 2 chairopractor & general romantic!
  • Crew
  • 'Better,stronger,faster !!"
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 05:31:58 pm »

I think what we see in the background in "The Corbomite Maneuver" (and in "The Man Trap" and in "Where No Man...") is an "Arc Flash Suit" to keep electricians from being electrocuted.  Certainly the designs have become more colorful and modern and less utilitarian over the past forty years, but here are some current designs:

http://www.boddingtons-electrical.com/arc_protective_equipment/arc_protective_wear.html

These "Arc Flash Suits" come with vests worn under the main garment for which you purchase cooling packs that get inserted into a number of pockets in the vest to keep the user cool.  Modern styles have Velcro closures on the vest; older styles probably have snaps as we see in the episodes.  (You can see the cooling pack vests farther down the above web page.) 

Greg Schnitzer
Gaithersburg, Maryland

Funny ,i saw the same hazard suit thingy in the Outer Limits episode ''Production and decay of strange particles''  with oddly enough Leonard Nimoy in it... :D
''And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes,i'll see you on the dark side of the moon.''

Offline GSchnitzer

• Co-Executive Producer
  • Administrator
  • Starfleet Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 08:02:49 am »
Funny ,i saw the same hazard suit thingy in the Outer Limits episode ''Production and decay of strange particles''����  with oddly enough Leonard Nimoy in it... :D

Well, Jami, you are absolutely right! Here is the suit worn by the guy attacked by the Salt Vampire in "The Man Trap:"

And here is the exact same suit worn by actor George Macready three years earlier in The Outer Limits episode "Production and Decay of Strange Particles:"

Notice the numbers painted on the pockets. This "Arc flash suit" would appear to be the exact same costume.

Greg Schnitzer
Gaithersburg, Maryland
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 08:17:56 am by GSchnitzer »

Gregory L. Schnitzer, RN

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline NV_Scotty

• Cast
  • Have a wee drink with a Scotsman!
    • Charles Root Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 02:33:16 pm »

You know I'd almost bet that's a round thermometer, or barometer, or kitchen scale.
GET YOUR LCARS T-SHIRTS NOW AT:

http://www.cafepress.com/TREKTOS

Offline stompy

• Recruit
Apparently they still make these and sell a bunch at less than $30

I agree with you-the yellow plastic thingie makes all the difference