Star Trek: Phase II

Please login or register.

Entertainment Earth
Star Trek Collectibles, Action Figures & More!

Author Topic: Today's Lesson: The Ten Appearances of the Food Selectors/Synthesizers  (Read 7219 times)

Offline Sarge

• Administrator
  • Starfleet Captain
  • General Go-To Guy
Re: Today's Lesson: The Nine Appearances of the Food Selectors/Synthesizers
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 06:00:05 pm »
Poof.... You're a five-pound lobster. :groucho:

Andy Grieb

Offline wjteegarden

• "Piddle Pod" Helmsman, Trekkie, Proppie
  • Crew
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2008, 08:37:12 am »
Good thing he didn't ask for a 12-inch pianist! ;D

Offline Lab Mouse

• Lab Mouse
  • Global Moderator
  • Starfleet Captain
  • ...Are YOU of THE NARF?????
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2008, 11:29:13 am »

Good thing he didn't ask for a 12-inch pianist! ;D

you forgot the beer....
NARF

Offline Mike-NH

• Crew
  • Learning the joys of Facebook
    • My website
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2008, 12:19:47 pm »

•   There are four colored lights/buttons underneath each door in the lower left corner.

Greg Schnitzer
Gaithersburg, Maryland

All together now... "THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!!!!!"   :hyst:

(And I'm surprised I'm the first one to post that joke...)

Offline Mage66

• Crew
  • Computer Wizard, Artist, Propmaker, P2 Crew
Oh, the automat.  I used to go to one in Manhattan with my grandma.  The coffee was served with tiny one once glass vases with the milk in it.
My favorite was the chocolate pudding inside a little glass compartment.  I would put a coin in and it came out.  Back in the 60"s the cost was probably 10 or 15 cents.  What a blast from the past . 

The Automat used to be on the corner where the old Hotel Commodore used to be. Which was where many Star Trek Conventions in the mid 1970's were held in NYC.
Al
Keansburg, NJ
"Make mine Phase II!!"

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline Mage66

• Crew
  • Computer Wizard, Artist, Propmaker, P2 Crew
I kinda thought the food was transported, recreated and materialized in the slots before the crew got them. Somehow seeing food zipped through a giant tube to its destination is kind of...'goofy'...but then, it does explain how tribbles got into the food. I doubt they were materialized in the replicating process...

One of the upgrades in the Motion Picture was the addition of small intra-ship transporters. The precursors to replicators. There is a small transporter platform built into the wall at chest level just forward of the Tactical Station on the TMP bridge.

This could be used for receiving food, repair parts or other necessary items on the bridge.

Supposedly, the transporter information traveled through an ODN of some kind and not subject to the original show's restriction of no intra-ship beaming.
Al
Keansburg, NJ
"Make mine Phase II!!"

Offline Ziz

• Recruit
Re: Today's Lesson: The Ten Appearances of the Food Selectors/Synthesizers
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2009, 12:00:02 am »
Simple question - how big are the food selector doors, width and height?

Offline Cacher123

Not to ressurect an old topic (Ok, darn it, I DO want to ressurect all these old prop topics! They are just so interesting! and Facebook, while more immediate, doesn't have the ability to keep a detailed record of the conversation, updates, etc all in one place).
So, If Greg is still around and listening....
I noticed that in the very first pic of the food unit, the inside top seems to have molding on the two sides and the back. It looks like standard baseboard molding. You can see the end-on view of it on both sides where the door opening is. The later units dont seem to have this at all, just open boxes with no internal detailing. Do you know when this change was made?

Also, please do more prop posts!

Offline GSchnitzer

• Co-Executive Producer
  • Administrator
  • Starfleet Member
    • Gregory L. Schnitzer at IMDB
Not to ressurect an old topic (Ok, darn it, I DO want to ressurect all these old prop topics! They are just so interesting! and Facebook, while more immediate, doesn't have the ability to keep a detailed record of the conversation, updates, etc all in one place).
I noticed that in the very first pic of the food unit, the inside top seems to have molding on the two sides and the back. It looks like standard baseboard molding. You can see the end-on view of it on both sides where the door opening is. The later units dont seem to have this at all, just open boxes with no internal detailing. Do you know when this change was made?

Greg is indeed around....

Yes, the detailing on the inside of the food synthesizer unit with what would appear to be simple wooden baseboard molding and seen in the earliest appearance seems to be gone in later appearances.  I don't know why the change.  I suspect that someone looked at the set and said "That sure looks like standard wooden baseboard molding!" and took it out for its later appearances.  I think that it took up about five seconds of screen time and no one really predicted that forty-five years later we would be discussing the presence or absence of the baseboard detailing.  I think it's just one of those mysteries.

I have done some prop write-ups on Facebook that I should probably port over to this forum.  I'll do that soon.

Also, I've done some write-ups of various sorts on our main web site; some of them are simple regurgitations from this forum, some of them are regurgitations from Facebook, and some of them are original content all on their own.  So you might take a peek at those. (You can find these "Special Features" at       
http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/?category_name=special-features.)

Gregory L. Schnitzer, RN

Offline Cacher123

Greg, thanks again for the responses! I did check out the posts on the main pg. That's why I came here to check out the rest. The one on sickbay color is really cool especially since I spent 2 days in Ti painting that wall first one color for use as a corridor/briefing room wall, then back to sickbay green! Of course it was too humid for the paint to dry so lighting rigged some lights to "bake" for the next days shoot. Nothing like painting a wall with one of those lights at your back then turning around and looking into it!  :noway:

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline qoSagh

I don't remember the Automats when they worked, but I know that the Museum of American History in Washington has an old Automat wall on display.

As an aside, the modern version (or what would have been modern about 35 years ago, that amazed me was also at the Smithsonian and those were the food carousels. They were just really rotating platforms made up of divided areas, with one half being in front of the counter for customers and the other half behind the counter for the cooks. Nothing fancy about them, but as a kid they were amazing and futuristic to me. As the space for what you wanted was empty and as it went around it was refilled by the cooks.

I think the idea of that new Automat in NYC is cool, and I will be making a trip down there although the menu looks a little limited.

Offline Aahz

• Cage-Era Navigator in "Origins"; Production Assistant to Whoever Hollered Last
  • Crew
  • "Stop making the ship turn left!" - D. Gerrold
    • Triple-W GoFoods Global
Re: Today's Lesson: The Ten Appearances of the Food Selectors/Synthesizers
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2013, 12:01:45 am »

Greg is indeed around....

Yes, the detailing on the inside of the food synthesizer unit with what would appear to be simple wooden baseboard molding and seen in the earliest appearance seems to be gone in later appearances.  I don't know why the change.  I suspect that someone looked at the set and said "That sure looks like standard wooden baseboard molding!" and took it out for its later appearances.  I think that it took up about five seconds of screen time and no one really predicted that forty-five years later we would be discussing the presence or absence of the baseboard detailing.  I think it's just one of those mysteries.

One other little detail I noticed on that closeup is that the lighting inside the unit is shining down through a grille not unlike that over the turbo-lift door on the bridge.  If according to "The Making of Star Trek" the food units are supposed to be miniature turbo-lifts delivering stuff from the automated galley, this innocuous bit of set decor may have been to visually connect the two pieces of Treknology.

And we already know that each turbo-lift has its own gravity and inertial dampening, which explains the lack of spillage when moving so rapidly from galley to customer.
Non-sequitur -- Your facts are un-coordinated.
-------
"I MADE MASHED POTATOES!!" -- Gir
"Yes.  And muffins." -- Zim