Star Trek: Phase II

Please login or register.

Author Topic: #47 Prop: Data Card Things  (Read 4307 times)

Offline Gary Evans

• Administrator
  • Starfleet Lieutenant
Re: #47 Prop: Data Card Things
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 10:26:41 am »
:lol:

I guess my crrent use of the obsolete IE6.x is a break for me! I click on the link and it opens a nice pic every time!

Sometimes, the old-and-tired gets the job done when the shiny new tools flub-the-duff!

Gary
 :byesm:

Offline GSchnitzer

• Co-Executive Producer
  • Administrator
  • Starfleet Member
    • Gregory L. Schnitzer at IMDB
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 07:34:06 pm »
Here's something I found while watching the remastered version of "The Doomsday Machine":

You can plainly see the beveled  and the curved edges Greg was talking about earlier.  One thing that seems to be apparent in this screencap -- it looks like the rounded edge is completely round, not partially round.  Greg, are there multiple versions of the record tapes?

Yes, it is a bit of a mystery, isn't it?

There are a couple of data tape card things in the hands of reputable Trek prop collectors--and the cards have a pretty decent provenance to them.  And these "screen used" (or at least purpoted to be "screen used") have  the rounding towards only one face (90 degrees) like in my reproductions.  And yet, this shot from "The Doomsday Machine" and a few others (like Spock holding some cards in "Charlie X") all show the rounding in both directions--180 degrees.

So, Star Trek[i/] fans have been studying screenshots, looking for one of these "half-rounded" cards.  Until then, either there were both kinds used on the show--and no one can find any screenshots (yet) of the kind I have--or a lot of prop collectors have been taken in by forgeries. 

More details if and when any come to light.

Gregory L. Schnitzer, RN

Offline Cacher123

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 03:18:53 pm »
Gonna ressurect an old topic again! :pirate: But i love these posts and hate FB!  :hbang:
Any update on the Half Bullnose vs the full?

Offline GSchnitzer

• Co-Executive Producer
  • Administrator
  • Starfleet Member
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 07:00:54 pm »
No news is, well, no news in this case.

I've gone on a rampage to find any instances of data cards in Star Trek where they have a half bullnose edge.  I haven't been able to find a single instance.  I have found lots of instances of full bullnose edges, however.  So at this point I'm skeptical that there actually were any half bullnose edge discs--despite people having "original Star Trek discs" that they swear have all kinds of trustworthy provenance.

Nevertheless, a lack of actual data regarding the existence of half bullnoses is not the same thing as actual data regarding a lack of existence of half bulnoses.  So, I'll keep looking.

Thanks four your interests in my posts.

(And keep trying to find any half bullnoses, please.)   

Gregory L. Schnitzer, RN

Offline Cacher123

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 07:26:42 pm »
WOW! Cannot believe you are still on and checking this board!
Great to hear from you!  :cloud9:

PUUHHHLLLEEEAAASSSEEEEE ressurect the props section of the forum!
I'm sure you have many new items since the last posts you did and we'd love to hear about em! I literally wore my old Technical Manual and blueprints out poring over them as a kid.

Anyway, in response to the data cards.... Have you managed to complete the sets you spoke about a couple years ago? Would love to see pics!
2 - actually it seems more reasonable that the cards would have a half bullnose since then they would have a specific top and bottom (presuming the data reader needed the cards to be oriented as such). The fact that the one edge is beveled seems to me to indicate that they need to be inserted only one way. A Half bull nose on the other end of the card would allow the user to immediately, by feel, know "which way is up!"
Just a thought.

MORE POSTS PLEASE!!!

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline GSchnitzer

• Co-Executive Producer
  • Administrator
  • Starfleet Member
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 11:59:23 pm »
WOW! Cannot believe you are still on and checking this board!
Great to hear from you!  :cloud9:

PUUHHHLLLEEEAAASSSEEEEE ressurect the props section of the forum!
I'm sure you have many new items since the last posts you did and we'd love to hear about em! I literally wore my old Technical Manual and blueprints out poring over them as a kid.

Anyway, in response to the data cards.... Have you managed to complete the sets you spoke about a couple years ago? Would love to see pics!
2 - actually it seems more reasonable that the cards would have a half bullnose since then they would have a specific top and bottom (presuming the data reader needed the cards to be oriented as such). The fact that the one edge is beveled seems to me to indicate that they need to be inserted only one way. A Half bull nose on the other end of the card would allow the user to immediately, by feel, know "which way is up!"
Just a thought.

MORE POSTS PLEASE!!!

Cards are complete.  (The flash of my camera washes them out a bit.)

Full set of colors is here:

Paint codes available if you need them.

Gregory L. Schnitzer, RN

Offline Cacher123

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2013, 02:07:11 pm »
paint codes and exact dimensions would be great! This may be the ONLY prop I have the skill to build!  :geyes:

Offline GSchnitzer

• Co-Executive Producer
  • Administrator
  • Starfleet Member
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2013, 02:45:26 pm »

My cards are 2.5" x 3.0" x 0.25" with a 45 degree angled cut on one side and a rounded edge radius on the other side. Here's a side view of an unpainted one. 

As we've mentioned, full bullnose versus half bullnose remains a question.

Here are the color codes for the eight colors I used. As I've said before, we use Wal-Mart paint since Wal-Mart is just about the only place we can get paint in our one-horse town.

Energy Red:
 Accent Base
 F-1
 Kx-13
 R-2Y33.5
 T-6.5

Orange Alert:
 Accent Base
 C-9
 Kx-Y4
 R-Y4.5
 T-Y10.5

Sunburst Orange:
 Accent Base
 C-2.5
 Kx-Y19
 R-6.5
 T-Y28

Elegant Thai Silk:
 Accent Base
 Kx-147
 Axx-1Y40.5
 R-1

Green Palm:
 Accent Base
 AXX-Y36
 D-3.5
 Kx-31
 L-5.5

Ivy Wreath:
 AXX-32.5
 D-Y17
 Kx-20
 L-3.5

True Blue:
 Accent Base
 E-Y17
 Kx-28
 L-1.5
 V22.5

Sequoia:
 Accent Base
 C-23
 F-11
 Kx-32
 L-12

(Credit for the wonderful colors goes to Mr. Matt Jefferies, not to me.)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 02:47:01 pm by GSchnitzer »

Gregory L. Schnitzer, RN

Offline Cacher123

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2013, 02:50:19 pm »
G, You the man!
Now I gotta find a Walmart!

Offline qoSagh

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2013, 04:17:26 pm »
Nice job with this simple but important prop. I have always thought that the 3.5" floppies were designed to look as much like these as possible.

As for the colors you used, is that because they were the only ones seen on screen or was the list published somewhere? Is there any reason why there might not be other colors out there?

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline GSchnitzer

• Co-Executive Producer
  • Administrator
  • Starfleet Member
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 04:32:12 pm »
Nice job with this simple but important prop. I have always thought that the 3.5" floppies were designed to look as much like these as possible.

As for the colors you used, is that because they were the only ones seen on screen or was the list published somewhere? Is there any reason why there might not be other colors out there?

Oh, there might be all kinds of colors out there.  But these are the only ones we saw in Star Trek.  (We did see a few other colors in the animated episodes.)

Gregory L. Schnitzer, RN

Offline qoSagh

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2013, 04:53:17 pm »
As much of a fan of TAS as I am, I can't really wish for too much from there to be included in P2, as the then we would need purple uniforms for the Klingons and well, that is just somewhere I am not going.

HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<