Star Trek: Phase II

Please login or register.

Author Topic: My Latest Project: Corridor Signage (Cabin Nameplates and Corridor Wayfinders)  (Read 4175 times)

Offline joshh

"Medusan Habitat".

This reminds me of the TNG "Officer's Manual" that FASA did around '89. TNG was still new, and a lot of the workings of the Ent-D were left up to one's imagination--so the writers took flights of fancy with things like Medusan navigators on every Galaxy class ship.
Censorship is evil.

Offline GSchnitzer

• Co-Executive Producer
  • Administrator
  • Starfleet Member
    • Gregory L. Schnitzer at IMDB
Re: My Latest Project: Corridor Signage (Cabin Nameplates and Corridor Wayfinder
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 04:31:46 pm »
"Medusan Habitat".

This reminds me of the TNG "Officer's Manual" that FASA did around '89. TNG was still new, and a lot of the workings of the Ent-D were left up to one's imagination--so the writers took flights of fancy with things like Medusan navigators on every Galaxy class ship.

Well, I'll put up "Medusan Habitat" signs, but I draw the line at having a shipboard aquarium with bottlenose dolphins and orcas who can help navigate the ship. 

Gregory L. Schnitzer, RN

Offline Muddseye

• Global Moderator
  • Starfleet Lieutenant
  • Senior Fangler
    • OPL Gaming
Re: My Latest Project: Corridor Signage (Cabin Nameplates and Corridor Wayfinder
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 12:25:44 pm »
"Medusan Habitat".

Well, I'll put up "Medusan Habitat" signs, but I draw the line at having a shipboard aquarium with bottlenose dolphins and orcas who can help navigate the ship. 
:hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:
www.oplgaming.com  a group of gamer friends who rag on each other

Offline Carwyn

• I got bored.... so I shaved my head
    • Cognitive Dreams
One sign I'd like to see on the ship is "Stella Cartography" Just because i think the ToS Enterprise should be equipped with one.

Offline CaptainLordBat

• CLB is not for everyone. Ask your doctor if CLB is right for you. Extra In "Star Trek: Blood and Fire", Production Assistant" TSaMD, WEAT, BaF". Production Assistant to the Line Producer "Kitumba"
  • Crew
  • Starfleet Member
  • Member Local 1701 Port Henry Set Builders Union
    • Star Trek: Mirrorverse
One sign I'd like to see on the ship is "Stella Cartography" Just because i think the ToS Enterprise should be equipped with one.

Is this where she tracks Harry Mudd when he runs off?   :hyst:

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline Ted Thompson

• This is me.
    • Joycrusher's Menagerie
When I was a kid (70s) there was a shop in town that did engraved signs.  It led me to believe that those signs were made the same way, as the samples on display looked an aweful lot like the signs seen on screen.

The signs made at this shop were made using a laminated piece of plastic, maybe an 1/8" thick.  It was 2 ply, and for these signs they would have used a piece that had a black layer and a white layer.  The letters were then made by using a machine that would remove material from the black layer deep enough to let the white layer show through - so it would carve "ditches" in the plastic to make the letters.

I don't think they had more then 2 or 3 fonts to choose from, maybe only one....  I know most of the signs used the same font and it appeared (without supper close scrutiny) to be the same as those in TOS.
Nothing unreal exists.

Offline GSchnitzer

• Co-Executive Producer
  • Administrator
  • Starfleet Member
When I was a kid (70s) there was a shop in town that did engraved signs.  It led me to believe that those signs were made the same way, as the samples on display looked an aweful lot like the signs seen on screen.

The signs made at this shop were made using a laminated piece of plastic, maybe an 1/8" thick.  It was 2 ply, and for these signs they would have used a piece that had a black layer and a white layer.  The letters were then made by using a machine that would remove material from the black layer deep enough to let the white layer show through - so it would carve "ditches" in the plastic to make the letters.

I don't think they had more then 2 or 3 fonts to choose from, maybe only one....  I know most of the signs used the same font and it appeared (without supper close scrutiny) to be the same as those in TOS.

Yes.  Now all we need is one of the engravers from the 70s with those three engraver fonts to get these exactly perfect.  Unfortun ately, everyone has long ago upgraded to engravers that do a zillion new computerized fonts--none of which, interestingly enough, is the exact style of font vthat was used on the old 70s machines.

So, if you wanted to get real picky about these signs (instead of using Arial font which is pretty close but which wasn't invented until the 80s),  you'd have to find one of those real old machines, or re-create the old font as a True Type font style so that one of the newer engraver machines could use it.

Is there anybody who would actually go through that much trouble?  ;)

Gregory L. Schnitzer, RN

Offline Ted Thompson

• This is me.
    • Joycrusher's Menagerie
Well, no - certainly not for what amounts to incidental window dressing in an actual production.

I was actually more curious as to whether or not I was correct as to the origin of the originals - the "nitty gritty" of how the Desilu folks made all that stuff has always been an interest to me, but AFAIK not alot of info exists about it.

I did find some "backside" photos of one of the original bridge displays some time ago - that was quite interesting.
Nothing unreal exists.

Offline GSchnitzer

• Co-Executive Producer
  • Administrator
  • Starfleet Member
Well, no - certainly not for what amounts to incidental window dressing in an actual production.

I was actually more curious as to whether or not I was correct as to the origin of the originals - the "nitty gritty" of how the Desilu folks made all that stuff has always been an interest to me, but AFAIK not alot of info exists about it.

I did find some "backside" photos of one of the original bridge displays some time ago - that was quite interesting.

Actually, a few of us *are* anal-retentive enough to re-create the font as a TruType computer font using FontForge software.  I think we're pretty well done:

For the Enterprise episode "In a Mirror, Darkly" the Paramount sign shop actually used the old 70s engraver they still have to make some new corridor signage for the Defiant.  For some of the distance shots, the signage was just printed on paper and cut out and taped to the walls.  The actual engraved signs are the correct old font, but the "signs" printed out on paper from the computer are all in Arial--since they didn't go through the silly hassle of re-creating the mechanical engraver font for the computer.

Gregory L. Schnitzer, RN

Offline IanWatson

• Recruit

"Have you had a chance to see the dolphins yet?"
-- Geordi to Par Lenor, TNG: The Perfect Mate

;)

WANT TO SEE MORE EPISODES AND QUICKER RELEASE TIMES?
THEN DONATE TO HELP US MAKE MORE STAR TREK PHASE 2!!!

Visit here to find out more:
>>>HELPING PHASE 2<<<
Even a dollar or three a month helps!!!

Offline Cacher123

I work at LGA airport. Read this post a couple days ago. Walking past the signs in the corridors today I notice they all have those flat topped number 3s! They were all put up in the 60s/70s so I bet they used the same type of engraver! Been seeing them for 8 months now and never actually noticed them until I read your post! Anyway, if you haven't finished creating your alphabet yet I could get some real good pics of all the letters since there are plenty of signs to choose from!

Offline GSchnitzer

• Co-Executive Producer
  • Administrator
  • Starfleet Member
I work at LGA airport. Read this post a couple days ago. Walking past the signs in the corridors today I notice they all have those flat topped number 3s! They were all put up in the 60s/70s so I bet they used the same type of engraver! Been seeing them for 8 months now and never actually noticed them until I read your post! Anyway, if you haven't finished creating your alphabet yet I could get some real good pics of all the letters since there are plenty of signs to choose from!

Well, I have all the capital letters, and all of the numbers.  But if you can grab any pictures of any "special characters"--such as !@#$%^&*()_+=|\}]{["':;?/>.<, I'd be grateful.  (I don't know why any signage would have any of these characters, but you never know.)  Of course, lower case, too, would be good, if there are any.

Gregory L. Schnitzer, RN